[KI-LC] assessing WG & DG activity in the context of Kantara Initiative goals

Iain Henderson iain.henderson at mydex.org
Mon Sep 7 15:32:59 PDT 2009

Hi Brett, here's my view on behalf of the UDVPI group.

> Goals:
> * Accelerate marketplace adoption through clear messages, defined
> processes, and open community collaboration that brings vendors,
> deployers, individuals, and organizations together

UDVPI is about a very focused, forward looking alternate approach to
commonly established ways of looking at/ deploying things. As such, we
need to go through a period of shaping our proposition, the language
around it, the specifications, and then the messages to the relevant
audiences. I think it will be mid 2010 before we really get to clarity
of message and means of engagement.

> * Bring together technical, business, legal, and policy experience to
> achieve holistic & trusted identity management solutions

UDVPI cannot and will not be deployed without paying significant heed
to each of those dimensions - and also adds the very clear requirement
to stand in the shoes of the individual customer (which then includes
user experience, business models, priority engagement areas). As such
we have a strong, cross0 functional team looking at the issue, and
know that we need to draw in additional expertise when necessary.

> * Establish an open and democratic governance model with no financial
> barrier to participation

Clearly with such a new and forward looking subject area, there would
be little point in excluding interested parties - we are very much
open to any kind of participation and put no barriers in place beyond
willingness to read our intro material and follow the routes to
engagement.

> * Implement an operational structure with nimble processes,
> procedures, and oversight, and a viable financial model

Still finding our feet on this, although our proposal on research
includes the need to bring in further sponsor funds and we have a
clear understanding of our financial model going forward.

> * Commit to open standards and encourage interoperable implementations
> from both the COTS product and open source development communities

Absolutely - UDVPI is all about building open standards and
interoperable implementation.

> * Foster positive dialogue across all relevant organizations to assure
> coordination, harmonization, and re-use of all applicable open content
> (specs, policy, etc.)

We will run outreach activity via research and white papers as and
when appropriate (mid 2010 estimate).

> * Establish programs with strong branding for technical and
> operational output to promote interoperability, compliance and/or
> conformance

Yes, we envisage having a compliance programme - but not till later in
2010.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Iain