[KI-LC] assessing WG & DG activity in the context of Kantara Initiative goals

Kenji Takahashi takahashi.kenji at lab.ntt.co.jp
Mon Sep 7 00:43:39 PDT 2009

Hi,

I am writing this for Japan WG and DG.  Kenji

See inline:

> Goals:
> * Accelerate marketplace adoption through clear messages, defined
> processes, and open community collaboration that brings vendors,
> deployers, individuals, and organizations together
Japan WG has 35 participants and 224 subscribers.  Japan DG has 29
participants and 228 subscribers.  Here a participant means one who has
signed up for GPA and a subscriber means one who has just subscribed to
the mailing list.

As for evangelism activities, the following is taken from my previous
post.  Media coverages are mostly positive.  Also Japan WG start
planning a workshop in November (the target audience is 150).
- Press round table (23rd June, 2009 at NTT Software)
  * 20 journalists attended
  * major news sites have carried articles.

- Kantara Initiative Inaugural Seminar (14th July, 2009 @ Oracle Japan HQ)
  * 90 attended (out of 114 registrations)
  * Agenda included
  * Introduction to KI (history, mission, goals, governance
structure,activities)
  * Collaboration with OIDFJ (by Sakimura-san as a representative from
OIDFJ)
  * Use cases:
     * Google Apps by Sios (they are an ISV specialized in SAML and
Google Apps.  They talked about use cases in universities, YMCA summer
camp, and other companies)
     * OpenID by NTT Communications (NTT group companies plan to use
OpenID as well as SAML to provide their users with a seamless
experiences across borders. )
     * Windows CardSpace (best practices in Lake Washington School
district, AAA, GSA, Minuteman Library, etc.)

- Press interviews
  *Nikkei Network
  * by-weekly enterprise magazine issued by the publishing subsidiary of
the largest economic paper (Nikkei Shimbun) in Japan
  * a two-pages column in a printed magazine and two articles on its
online version.
  * Weekly BCN
  * an article on printed media

> * Bring together technical, business, legal, and policy experience to
> achieve holistic & trusted identity management solutions
We have invited both members and non-members as speakers at the
workshops, covering SAML, OpenID, and Information Card.

> * Establish an open and democratic governance model with no financial
> barrier to participation
Japan WG has successfully chosen a Vice Chair by electronic ballot.
Japan WG will host the first f2f meeting in Tokyo on September 24 to
debrief the KI Conference, discuss the workshop in November, and the
future direction of Japan WG's activities.

> * Implement an operational structure with nimble processes,
> procedures, and oversight, and a viable financial model
>
> * Commit to open standards and encourage interoperable implementations
> from both the COTS product and open source development communities
>
> * Foster positive dialogue across all relevant organizations to assure
> coordination, harmonization, and re-use of all applicable open content
> (specs, policy, etc.)
We are working with OpenID Foundation Japan for the harmonization.