[KI-LC] Telecon Reminder for October 21 at 15:00 UTC

Bob Pinheiro kantara at bobpinheiro.com
Wed Oct 21 09:53:14 EDT 2009

There still seems to be a disparity between the eligibility rules for
who is allowed to vote in roll-call votes taken during a meeting, versus
electronic votes.  Suppose a member in non-voting status due to
non-attendance receives two emails.  One announces that a roll-call vote
will be taken on Measure X at the next meeting.  The other announces
that an electronic voting period has just begun on Measure Y.  The
proposed rules say that the non-voting member cannot vote in the
electronic ballot, but can vote in the roll-call ballot merely by
showing up at the meeting, which automatically restores voting status.
I see no reason why this non-voting member should be allowed to
participate in an upcoming roll-call vote merely by showing up, but is
not allowed to participate in the electronic vote.

If one were to conclude that the very act of announcing an upcoming
roll-call vote means that the motion has now been placed "on the table",
then I think the rules would be equivalent.  But that doesn't seem to be
the case.   Maybe this can be resolved by requiring sufficient
notification that an electronic ballot is upcoming, thereby allowing a
non-voting member to regain voting status by attending the next meeting,
which would have to occur before the electronic vote is initiated.

Bob