[KI-LC] Strawman language for amending the motion to amend the Operating Procedures

Joe Andrieu joe at switchbook.com
Wed Oct 14 19:22:15 EDT 2009

In today's call there were two issues brought up with the first item of
the motion entitled "Approval of Amendments to Operating Procedures for
All Member Ballot". Here is an excerpt of the relevant portion of that
motion:

====
The following amendments to the Kantara Initiative Operating Procedures
(version 1.0), as previously approved by the Board of Trustees, are
hereby approved by the Leadership Council for submission to an All
Member Ballot:

i. Add the following text as the third paragraph in section 2.6:
"For the purpose of maintaining a reasonable ability to achieve Quorum,
any Voting Member of the LC who fails to attend two consecutive meetings
of the LC may, at the discretion of the Chair, be re-classified as a
non-voting member. Voting status may be reacquired by attending a
meeting of the LC. In the case of an electronic vote of the LC, if the
electronic vote is initiated while a member is in non-voting status, the
member may not vote in that electronic vote."
====

I think its a fair summary to say the two issues are as follows:

1. Ambiguity around reacquiring voting status. The word "may" could mean
that the reacquisition is at the chair's discretion (similar to the loss
of status). The timing is also ambiguous: does the status resumes
immediately for that meeting?

2. There is a discrepancy between the ease of participating in a live
meeting and in an electronic one. For a live meeting, one can--upon
notice of the topic to be voted upon--simply show up and be counted.
However, the electronic vote precludes a non-voting member from a
similar "on-demand" participation in the vote.

For #1, there seemed to be a consensus that it would be at the member's
discretion, not the chair's, and that the status would be in effect for
the meeting at which it is reclaimed.

For #2, there was less discussion, so perhaps we don't have consensus.
However, the issue itself suggests a desire to find a way to allow a
similar "on-demand" approach for electronic ballots.

As a strawman suggestion, here is a possible motion to amend the motion
currently on the table.  If there's sufficient agreement to some edited
version of this, we can turn it into a proper motion for the next LC
meeting.

====
Motion that we replace

"Voting status may be reacquired by attending a meeting of the LC. In
the case of an electronic vote of the LC, if the electronic vote is
initiated while a member is in non-voting status, the member may not
vote in that electronic vote."

with

"Voting status shall be automatically reinstated for any non-voting
member by either (a) attending a meeting of the LC and electing to
reacquire it at the roll call of said meeting or (b) in the case of an
electronic vote of the LC, sending an email to the LC email list,
electing to reacquire voting status, no less than 48 hours prior to the
close of the first electronic vote for which that status would apply;
for the purposes of quorum in an electronic ballot, quorate shall be
determined based on all members of voting status 48 hours prior to the
close of the vote."

====

That's it. The language probably needs some help, but I figured putting
something out there might kickstart our thinking. In particular, I'm not
sure if the 48 hour window matters, but it seemed like some cutoff would
simplify last minute quorate questions.

Cheers,

-j

--