[KI-LC] [BoT] Proposed Change to the Intellectual Property Rights Policy

Brett McDowell email at brettmcdowell.com
Thu Oct 1 08:48:22 PDT 2009

I also think it makes sense to clarify that Apache 2.0 is a CLA, it's
really for open source projects and it's probably not going to be the
only CLA we have in the long-term.  In fact, given all the discussion
I've heard over the summer when WG's were trying to figure out which
IPR Policy to use, it might help to categorize them a bit at a
high-level to see what sort of animal each is.  So that might lead us
to:

1) CLA: Apache 2.0
2) Copyright: CC Share Alike with Attribution
3) Patent & Copyright: Reciprocal Royalty Free with Opt-Out to RAND

(Opt-Out is more accurate than "fall back to")

Longer titles, but... your thoughts?

Brett McDowell | http://info.brettmcdowell.com | http://kantarainitiative.org