[KI-LC] [BoT] A new Non-Assert Covenant to consider adopting

Colin Wallis Colin.Wallis at dia.govt.nz
Thu Nov 19 16:47:26 EST 2009

..and Bill's comment is the nub of Bill's position as I understand it - keep it simple to the existing 3, because if you add OWF you will potentially open the floodgates of options-on-options.

Sure, OWF the non-assert covenant IPR license may have weaknesses that Bill sees now (thanks Bill - will be very useful for the later guidance material!) and perhaps other folks over in OWF will sooner or later as they implement it.

And no doubt OWF will modify it, if the members grumble and/or don't take it up.

Meanwhile, we will be ahead of other SDO's because at least we have a choice!

Moving from Legal to Strategic for a moment, if we were to offer OWF's license do we feel some of their members would do stuff in KI? We have offered many olive branches in the past and been disappointed!  Would this be a game-changer? Or potentially give us more headaches for little gain?

Even from our own membership base, is there going to be enough motivation for OWF-type licenses over the next 12 months?  Is it worth asking them?

Several thoughts in the above I know...sorry