[KI-LC] Charter Approval Process Proposal

Bob Pinheiro bob at bobpinheiro.com
Fri May 29 16:28:43 PDT 2009

 From Step 13 below: "/Ratification requires a simple majority of the
full LC/."

Not to be picky, but the Bylaws define a Simple Majority as "/more than
50% of all those casting a vote (excluding abstentions)./" [Not 50% of
the full LC]

 From Section 5.3 of the Bylaws: "/Approval for the formation of a Work
Group requires approval of the Work Group Charter by a Simple Majority
vote of the Leadership Council./"

So I'd propose replacing Step 13 with "/Ratification requires a Simple
Majority vote of the Leadership Council./"  [Meaning more than 50% of
those voting]

Also, just to be clear, I'd propose changing Step 5 to read: "/A
ratification vote date is set for no later than 30 days after
notification of the LC Secretary/."  [So as to be consistent with
Section 3.1 of the Operating Procedures: "/The Leadership Council must
consider any properly submitted proposal for the creation of a Work
Group and vote on it within thirty (30) days of its submittal to the LC
Secretary./"

Now, if a vote on a proposed charter is delayed due to a deferral (as in
Step 12), does that mean that a new vote must still be scheduled within
30 days of the original date of notification of the LC Secretary, even
if the next LC teleconference is after the 30 days?  One way to be
absolutely consistent with the Operating Procedures is to "notify" the
Secretary only after the initial LC discussion takes place.  That would
give the proposer 30 days to make any adjustments, if there is a
deferral.  If there is an immediate vote (and no deferral), the
Secretary would be "notified" during the call, prior to the vote.

Bob Pinheiro