[KI-LC] Mail List Policy

Brett McDowell email at brettmcdowell.com
Fri May 22 14:33:46 PDT 2009

Forgive the cross-post (if you are one of the lucky folks who are
subscribed to both of these lists).  I'm sending this to both lists
because the Board of Trustees assigned an action item to me to work on
a Mail List Policy, and on the Leadership Council meeting today they
shared their opinions and also made it clear they wanted to be a part
of this process.  One LC member actually felt this should be in the
Operating Procedures vs. a stand-alone policy.  So, that's why I'm
copying both.

This is more of an introduction.  Joni is going to circulate the first
draft of the policy next week.  I'm just going to introduce what I
believe is the fundamental topic for debate, and perhaps Joni should
hold off until this issue is debated a bit more via email.

The only issue I've heard in my talks with BoT and LC that might fall
short of a consensus, is the issue of whether subscribers (who are not
members of a group) get an option to receive every email, or only a
daily digest of email.  That's it.  Everybody agrees with every other
aspect of the policy as discussed in the two calls.

Perhaps we should begin simply by asking someone to clarify why they
believe non-member subscribers should receive each email in real-time
even though their responses are moderated (i.e., they cannot send to
the list unless they are participants in the group so why trigger that
Pavlovian trigger to attempt a response).  That's just my suggestion
for where to start the email discussion, if you'd rather choose a
different starting point, simply chime in.

Kind Regards,

Brett McDowell | +1.413.652.1248 | http://info.brettmcdowell.com