[KI-LC] Calling First Leadership Council Meeting

Brett McDowell email at brettmcdowell.com
Sun May 17 14:33:28 PDT 2009

Hello.  I hope you are all having a restful weekend.

I'm writing to give you a few updates and to solicit a meeting with
all of you for Friday, May 22.

Trustees to form initial Leadership Council
The Kantara Initiative Board of Trustees are holding their first
meeting this coming Thursday, May 21st.  One action they will take is
to "bootstrap" the Leadership Council formation by appointing each of
you to serve as formal members of the Leadership Council, based on
your proposed WG/DG charters.

All proposed charters are online here:

http://kantarainitiative.org/confluence/dashboard.action

You, the initial Leadership Council member nominees, are:

	• Trent Adams
	• Bob Pinheiro
	• Colin Wallis
	• Conor Cahill
	• Drummond Reed
	• Eve Maler
	• Iain Henderson
	• John Fraser
	• Jose Luis Mariz
	• Nigel Tedeschi
	• Paul Madsen
	• Philippe Clement
	• Prateek Mishra
	• Kenji Takahashi

Note: where a WG or DG was proposed with Co-Chairs, one of the co-
chairs was picked arbitrarily for the sake of bootstrapping the LC
into existence.  One decision the Co-Chairs will have to make is
deciding who will represent their group on the LC.

Please note that DG Chairs are non-voting members of the Leadership
Council, but they are still members of the Leadership Council.  The WG
Chairs are the voting members of the Leadership Council.

After May 22, Leadership Council will operate "normally"
This action by the Board of Trustees is just a one-time appointment to
get the Leadership Council up and running, but thereafter its
membership will be managed as outlined in the ByLaws and Operating
Procedures.

You must approve charters on May 22
The Board of Trustees are not approving any of your proposed charters,
or forming any of your proposed WG's or DG's.  That is the job of the
Leadership Council and it will be agenda item #1 when we meeting on
Friday, May 22.

Details of May 22 Meeting
To help us find the most suitable time to meet on May 22nd, I have
setup an online poll for you to fill out (you do not need to setup an
account at this web site in order to participate).  I hope to see 100%
participation from everyone listed above so we can pick the best time
possible.  We will need a quorum to conduct the business of approving
charters.  The poll is here:

http://www.doodle.com/7cmefynpwk4t9hue

Some Homework before May 22
Regarding the approval of charters... many of you do not yet have the
required number of co-sponsors on your charter as listed online (you
need three sponsors, yourself plus two).  Please work with your
associates to meet the criteria for sponsoring the charter and please
make sure your charter is in a form you'd like to have approved.  If
your charter is not approved then I'd expect you would no longer have
a seat on the Leadership Council until you were placed there per the
normal procedures, i.e. upon approval of your charter and the proper
election by the members of your WG/DG.

Using This Mailing List:
No doubt you have many questions.  Let's use this mailing list ask and
answer questions.  I'll be traveling and tied up with IIW for a few
days but Joni Brennan is on this list and she'll be able to help
answer questions as well.

It's great to see this moving forward.  I look forward to working with
you!!

Brett McDowell | +1.413.652.1248 | http://info.brettmcdowell.com