[KI-LC] Proposed Topics for Meeting at DIDW

Bob Pinheiro kantara at bobpinheiro.com
Fri Jul 31 08:33:27 PDT 2009

I'd like to see some discussion on what kinds of resources the
individual WGs/DGs believe may be necessary to actually perform their
work and produce any deliverables.  For instance, do the Chairs believe
they have sufficient commitment from WG participants to contribute to
the work effort and produce deliverables?  Do the Chairs believe they
will probably do the bulk of the work themselves, using the WG
participants mainly as reviewers and "sounding boards"?  Do the Chairs
believe they may need to obtain additional resources, such as
consultants to help with the work or to perform specialized  functions
such as market research, surveys, coding, etc?

I ask this with the full realization that Kantara, like most industry
consortia, will primarily rely on volunteer participants to get the work
done.   However, although anyone can participate in a Kantara WG/DG,
participants have their day jobs to do, and it's not clear how much
effort they will be able to devote to WG activities, or whether
participation in a WG necessarily translates to a commitment to help
produce deliverables.  WG/DG chairs have been asked to consider their
budget requests for 2010, so presumably these budget requests will
reflect the kinds of additional resources the WGs/DGs believe may be
necessary.

For an interesting commentary on why Kantara may be different than other
consortia with regard to how projects are supported, see Mathew
Gardner's blog posting on Why CA Supports the Kantara Initiative
<http://community.ca.com/blogs/iam/archive/2009/06/17/why-ca-supports-the-kantara-initiative.aspx>.
Mathew points out that Kantara is not only open to participants who are
not members and are paying nothing to participate, but that Kantara is
also a well-funded organization that has a unique bicameral governance
structure.    I interpret this to suggest that there will exist some
mechanism to enable funds to flow from the funders (the Board of
Trustees) to the doers (the Leadership Council) to support those WGs/DGs
where volunteer labor alone may be insufficient.

Bob