[KI-LC] Naming of groups in Confluence and mail aliases

Joni Brennan joni at ieee-isto.org
Fri Jul 17 11:36:26 PDT 2009

Thanks for the follow on Eve.  comments inline

On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 11:24 AM, Eve Maler <Eve.Maler at sun.com> wrote:

> I'd like to suggest that:
>
> 1. We use lowercase in Confluence short names for URLs (to me this is a
> slam-dunk)

I agree.

> 2. We drop the "wg" or "dg" portion of the short name in future group
> provisioning exercises (including my own two groups!)
>
> My reasoning for #2 is that unless there are two groups named *exactly* the
> same except for discussion or work group status (and I would argue they
> should be better distinguished than that), the "wg" or "dg" doesn't add
> anything and just makes things look complicated and hard to understand for
> people who are new to Kantara.  If you look at OASIS group URLs, there's a
> short form (that redirects to a query parameter version) like this:
>
> www.oasis-open.org/committees/security
> www.oasis-open.org/committees/xri
> etc.
>
> Nice and clean, and browser address bars let you start typing what's most
> relevant to you and get to it quickly.  Ours would have to be like this:
>
> www.kantarainitiative.org/confluence/display/concordia/Home
> www.kantarainitiative.org/confluence/display/uma/Home
> etc.
>
> ...but it's still an improvement over CONCORD, WGUMA, etc.

I agree.  When we do have two that are the same (Japan WG and DG are already
examples) do we then add the title identifier at the end?  .../japanwg/...
.../japandg/.... ?

> Joni has convinced me that existing mail alias names should stay as they
> are, but I urge folks to think about this stuff as part of Kantara's public
> face going forward. Names that are pleasant or unpleasant to use in daily
> life do have an effect on how we perceive the success and health of the
> related group effort.

That's not to say that I'm against this change.  For email naming convention
would we use the same rule as url convention where - no dg/wg identifiers
unless we had 2 groups with the same name.  In those cases the title is
appended to the end of the acronym.

Do others have thoughts?

Cheers,

Joni