[KI-LC] Naming of groups in Confluence and mail aliases

Eve Maler Eve.Maler at Sun.COM
Fri Jul 17 11:24:28 PDT 2009

Thanks to Joni's tireless effort, we've learned a bit more.  It turns
out there's no constraint on the case (upper vs. lower) of the "short
name" in a group's URL, but there is a constraint against using any
kind of nonalphanumerics.  So, for example, you can't match our
current mail alias style (with hyphens in them: "wg-xxx") to the URL
short name of a group.

I'd like to suggest that:

1. We use lowercase in Confluence short names for URLs (to me this is
a slam-dunk)
2. We drop the "wg" or "dg" portion of the short name in future group
provisioning exercises (including my own two groups!)

My reasoning for #2 is that unless there are two groups named
*exactly* the same except for discussion or work group status (and I
would argue they should be better distinguished than that), the "wg"
or "dg" doesn't add anything and just makes things look complicated
and hard to understand for people who are new to Kantara.  If you look
at OASIS group URLs, there's a short form (that redirects to a query
parameter version) like this:

www.oasis-open.org/committees/security
www.oasis-open.org/committees/xri
etc.

Nice and clean, and browser address bars let you start typing what's
most relevant to you and get to it quickly.  Ours would have to be
like this:

www.kantarainitiative.org/confluence/display/concordia/Home
www.kantarainitiative.org/confluence/display/uma/Home
etc.

...but it's still an improvement over CONCORD, WGUMA, etc.

Joni has convinced me that existing mail alias names should stay as
they are, but I urge folks to think about this stuff as part of
Kantara's public face going forward. Names that are pleasant or
unpleasant to use in daily life do have an effect on how we perceive
the success and health of the related group effort.

	Eve