[KI-LC] Naming of groups in Confluence and mail aliases

Joni Brennan joni at ieee-isto.org
Wed Jul 15 14:36:45 PDT 2009

Thanks very much for sending this around Eve!

There were some methods to my madness when initially setting the site(s) up,
however, I am very excited to work with the groups to make the site
offerings and structure truly best of breed examples.   We (staff) had
envisioned a 'phase 2' plan of action for the site(s) and I believe we are
stable enough to approach that process now.

Your feedback as users and participants is not only highly valuable but
necessary to help us tweak the site(s) in to near perfection ;-).  So please
do send your thoughts regarding Eve's comments so that I can work up a plan
to incorporate your feedback appropriately!

Cheers,

Joni

On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 2:04 PM, Eve Maler <Eve.Maler at sun.com> wrote:

> I asked Joni today about the chances of using more "friendly" names in the
> wiki workspace URLs and mail aliases.  I firmly believe that such things are
> part of presenting a friendly and open face to any potential stakeholders to
> help them decide to get engaged...
>
> It turns out we have some control over these key phrases, but it's not
> total.  E.g., Confluence's "short name" for each group has to be in
> uppercase in the URL, though the mail alias shows as lowercase.
>
> Joni suggested that all these short names be uniform if we can manage it;
> she's been using "WGxxxx" and "DGxxxx" for most of the new groups (though I
> notice Concordia's short name is "CONCORD" like the grape :-).  A consistent
> pattern seems okay to me, though I'd prefer "xxxx-WG" and "xxxx-DG" since it
> puts the unique information first and is just easier to read and
> "pronounce".  And I have no problem with slightly longer names, so
> "CONCORDIA-DG" and "UMA-WG" would be better in my mind.
>
> Am I being pedantic/crazy?  Overly concerned with "messaging"?  Are there
> other sorts of optimizations we could do around naming, if I'm not entirely
> crazy?
>
> And do we need perfect uniformity?  If Joni does change any of these at
> this point, it breaks old URLs and such.  I'm actually willing to do this
> for Concordia since we haven't gotten going yet.  (And unfortunately I can't
> think of any brilliantly friendly acronym besides UMA for my other group).
>  But other groups may not want the pain of changing now, even if they would
> have liked a different naming option in the beginning.
>
> Trouble-makingly,
>
>        Eve
>
> Eve Maler                                          eve.maler @ sun.com
> Emerging Technologies Director                    cell +1 425 345 6756
> Sun Microsystems Identity Software                www.xmlgrrl.com/blog

Joni Brennan
IEEE-ISTO
Liberty Alliance Project