[KI-LC] Naming of groups in Confluence and mail aliases

Eve Maler Eve.Maler at Sun.COM
Wed Jul 15 14:04:00 PDT 2009

I asked Joni today about the chances of using more "friendly" names in
the wiki workspace URLs and mail aliases.  I firmly believe that such
things are part of presenting a friendly and open face to any
potential stakeholders to help them decide to get engaged...

It turns out we have some control over these key phrases, but it's not
total.  E.g., Confluence's "short name" for each group has to be in
uppercase in the URL, though the mail alias shows as lowercase.

Joni suggested that all these short names be uniform if we can manage
it; she's been using "WGxxxx" and "DGxxxx" for most of the new groups
(though I notice Concordia's short name is "CONCORD" like the
grape :-).  A consistent pattern seems okay to me, though I'd prefer
"xxxx-WG" and "xxxx-DG" since it puts the unique information first and
is just easier to read and "pronounce".  And I have no problem with
slightly longer names, so "CONCORDIA-DG" and "UMA-WG" would be better
in my mind.

Am I being pedantic/crazy?  Overly concerned with "messaging"?  Are
there other sorts of optimizations we could do around naming, if I'm
not entirely crazy?

And do we need perfect uniformity?  If Joni does change any of these
at this point, it breaks old URLs and such.  I'm actually willing to
do this for Concordia since we haven't gotten going yet.  (And
unfortunately I can't think of any brilliantly friendly acronym
besides UMA for my other group).  But other groups may not want the
pain of changing now, even if they would have liked a different naming
option in the beginning.

Trouble-makingly,

	Eve

Eve Maler                                          eve.maler @ sun.com
Emerging Technologies Director                    cell +1 425 345 6756
Sun Microsystems Identity Software                www.xmlgrrl.com/blog