[KI-LC] Comments on the "Quorum Issue"

Eve Maler Eve.Maler at Sun.COM
Wed Jul 15 12:15:41 PDT 2009

Thanks, Roger, for relenting!

My preference between the options you list is for the less invasive
one: establishing rules for getting work initiated in the absence of a
quorum.  But I could be convinced otherwise.

By the way, minutes for today's meeting are now up; all, please note
well the various action items:

http://kantarainitiative.org/confluence/display/LC/Leadership+Council+Teleconference+-+2009-07-15

	Eve

On 15 Jul 2009, at 10:03 AM, Roger Martin wrote:

> To: Leadership Council
>
> I have relented from my position that I was simply lurking and would
> not volunteer to address the quorum issue raised on today's LC call
> and offer the following comments for the LC's consideration.
>
> The concern that was raised is that as more WGs are chartered and
> the number of voting members of the LC becomes larger, it will
> become increasingly difficult to conduct business because the LC
> will not be able to gather a quorum of voting members on many
> calls.  This "Quorum Brick Wall" could prove to be a very serious
> impediment to getting work done (as it has in technical groups in
> the past in other organizations).
>
> After investigating this, I think I have good news.
>
> Section 3.3 (2nd paragraph) of the Kantara Initiative Bylaws states:
> "Except when otherwise specified in these Bylaws and other
> Controlling Documents, approval requires a Simple Majority (greater
> than 50%) of those voting when a Quorum exists."
> Section 2.6 (2nd paragraph) of the Kantara Initiative Operating
> Procedures states:
> "A majority of the voting members of the LC shall constitute a
> quorum.  Actions taken in the absence of a quorum shall be confirmed
> by electronic ballot of all voting members of the LC."  (emphasis
> added)
> This permits the LC to initiate business without the presence of a
> quorum, but requires an electronic ballot to approve any business if
> a quorum is not present.
>
> Since Section 2.6 does not provide further guidance, I recommend
> that the LC make clear how it will operate when a quorum is not
> present by passing a resolution to establish the threshold number of
> voting members that must be present for an LC meeting to be able to
> initiate votes.  This resolution should be passed either at an LC
> meeting where a quorum is present or via an electronic ballot.  In
> my opinion it does not require a change to the Bylaws or Operating
> Procedures.
>
> If you do not wish to do take the above action, a workable
> alternative would be the one that Conor suggested on today's call --
> Establish a rule to place LC members in non-voting status for
> failure to attend (and not be counted in the Quorum and votes-needed
> totals).  This rule must include a "simple/easy" way to be re-
> instated as a voting member.  To do this will require a change to
> the Operating Procedures since the Operating Procedures (section
> 2.1) includes the following statement: "WG Chairs (or Alternate) are
> voting members of the LC."
>
> Footnote: The Kantara Initiative Bylaws defines four (4) types of
> majority:
> Simple Majority (<50% of those voting)
> vs       Majority (>50% of all voting members)
> Supermajority of those Voting (<=75% of those voting)   vs
> Supermajority (<=75% of all voting members).
>
>           ..... RogerM
> Roger Martin, Treasurer, Kantara Initiative
> [...]

Eve Maler                                          eve.maler @ sun.com
Emerging Technologies Director                    cell +1 425 345 6756
Sun Microsystems Identity Software                www.xmlgrrl.com/blog