[KI-LC] Revised DRAFT: Policy for Joining Groups and Group Discussion Lists

Bob Pinheiro kantara at bobpinheiro.com
Tue Jul 14 09:56:46 PDT 2009

The Overview section of the policy states: "When joining a WG or DG, you
will be required to agree to the Group's Intellectual Property Rights
(IPR) policy by completing a Group Participation Agreement for that
Group.  Upon submission, your request will be validated by KI staff, and
you will be added to the Group's discussion List."

I believe this is not correct.  A new participant is not automatically
subscribed to the email discussion list, but needs to separately
subscribe.  In fact, the invitation emails sent out to the Community
mailing list outline a three step process that a new participant is
supposed to follow: (a) agree to the IPR; (b) subscribe to the mailing
list; (c) get an account with an Identity Provider.   However, I've
noticed that there are several participants in the Consumer Identity WG
that did not subscribe to the mailing list, not to mention getting an
account with an IdP.  I'm assuming this is because these three steps are
completely independent of each other and are not tied together in some
way for new participants.

To correct this, I would like to suggest that the home page template for
each of the WGs/DGs be modified to spell out the complete process for
participating in a WG/DG.  A newcomer wanting to participate in any of
the WGs/DGs will likely not be aware of this process.  Ideally, the
mechanism for joining a group should link these three steps together.
One option could be that clicking on the JOIN THIS GROUP button brings
up a page that allows the new participant to complete each of the three
steps in one place.    Another option could be that when the new
participant clicks on the JOIN THIS GROUP button and fills out the basic
information requested and then hits the Submit button, the system could
automatically take the person to the email subscription page.  When this
is completed, the new participant could then be taken to the page for
signing up with an Identity Provider.

I understand there may be cases where there would need to be a delay
after the first step, such as when the staff needs to validate a new
participant request.  In that case, once the request is validated, the
system could automatically subscribe the new participant to the mailing
list.  A notification email could be sent with instructions for getting
an account with an Identity Provider.

Bob

Bob Pinheiro
Chair, Consumer Identity WG