[KI-LC] [BoT] Revised DRAFT: Policy for Joining Groups and Group Discussion Lists

Roger Martin roger.martin at corp.aol.com
Thu Jul 2 09:25:59 PDT 2009

_**_Joni,

I had a conversation with Brett about this issue because I was not
understanding the motivations for proposing this change.

Based on that discussion, I understand the motivation for this change to
be that:

    * Staff will administer all Lists, but there is a valid concern that
      a requirement to have Staff moderate all Lists will be a
      significant burden on Staff resources.

    * We can configure each List so any email received from a
      non-Participant gets an auto-reply that says "You do not have
      permission to post to this List.  To do so, you must sign the
      Participation Agreement for this Group." (or something similar)

    * It may be helpful for the leadership of a Group to know (1) who
      joins and who leaves a list as an Observer, and (2) who attempts
      to post as an Observer.  As a result, you proposed that a member
      of the Group Leadership (Group secretary) be assigned moderator
      status in order to be able to track this.

Under the Kantara Initiative Bylaws, a Group is not required to have a
secretary.  However, the Bylaws do state that when "a WG does not have a
secretary it is the responsibility of the Chair to ensure that those
duties."

Given the above, I believe the following changes will be sufficient to
achieve what you are proposing:

   1. Reword the first bullet in Section (5) to read:
      * All Lists are administered by Staff and moderated by the
      secretary of the Group to which the List is associated.

   2. Delete the sixth bullet in section (5)
      * Group Lists are not moderated.

   ...rogerM