[KI-LC] Internet connection at meeting in Las Vegas

Dervla O'Reilly dervla at kantarainitiative.org
Wed Aug 5 16:08:10 PDT 2009

Following on from an agenda topic on today's LC call, I would like to
present the options for internet connectivity at our meeting.

Internet pricing at the Rio Hotel is extremely high; 3x market rate!
We have been told by the Rio and DIDW management that we should NOT
attempt to build our own network, that we are liable as we're under
contract via DIDW with the property.

Considering our limited options, I would like to recommend Option B.
If there are any objections, please let me know no later than COB
Friday, August 7.  I will then need to take this option to the Board
of Trustees for budget approval.

Option A) Wire – 1 x 1mbps (yes, 1mbp) drop per room x 3 day meeting
($700 per drop) = $2,100+++ – very limiting if we have tele presence
via polycom/Skype option

Option B) Wire – 2 x 10mbps drop per room x 3 day meeting ($1,195 for
2 drops) = $3,585+++ noting each additional drop is $100 thereafter –
2 simultaneous drops, best choice

Option C) WiFi – dedicated 10 mbps for 3 rooms x 3 day meeting =
$6,995+++ through Cox – not a viable option and they will not break
down pricing for 2 days rather than 3.

Thanks for your input.

Cheers,

Dervla