[KI-LC] Draft minutes for 29 Jul 2009 LC call are up

Eve Maler Eve.Maler at Sun.COM
Sun Aug 2 14:44:59 PDT 2009

Sorry I missed replying to this; I'm just recovering from Catalyst. :-)

The presence of that last sentence makes a difference, and so does
"acquire a new seat".  With those two changes/additions, your
rewording does sound like what I think we intended.  Should we take up
a fresh motion for clarification purposes just to get it on the
record, or is this discussion sufficient?  Does any "founding
chair"  (in the position of having to pump a charter through our
process by Sep 14 ) have any questions or doubts about what was
intended?

	Eve

On 29 Jul 2009, at 3:30 PM, Roger Martin wrote:

> I considered that, but I'm not sure that I agree.  Yes, the WGs that
> successfully submit their charter by Aug 15th should continue to
> have a vote on the LC after Aug 15th.  The LC is under an Operating
> Procedures mandate to vote on it within 30 days (which conveniently
> works out to Sept 14th).  If the Charter is approved then there is
> no issue.
>
> I apparently forgot to include the last sentence of the Motion:
> A "Founding" WG whose Charter is successfully submitted by Aug 15,
> 2009 will remain an LC voting member until the LC votes to approve
> or reject the Charter.
>
> If the Charter is approved, the WG is know longer a grandfathered
> "Founding" WG, but a regular WG just like every other  LC approved
> WG.  If the Charter is rejected it loses its seat and vote on the LC
> the moment the Charter is rejected.  It then must submit a new
> charter for LC consideration just like any other new Group.
>
> (I should have said "acquire a new seat on the LC" in my original
> comments.)
>
>           ....rogerM
>
> Eve Maler wrote:
>>
>> I don't think this is quite correct.  Successful submission
>> ("acceptance") is one condition, but successful approval by Sep 14
>> is another.  If the LC approval vote fails during our mandated 30-
>> day window, the founding group still loses its special seat.  (It's
>> not clear whether it would be the "same" or a different group that
>> later submits a charter (using the same or different text!) that
>> wins approval, so I don't think "regaining" a seat should be an
>> issue -- a founding seat would simply be lost if the vote fails.
>> Hopefully this situation will remain theoretical, though. :-)
>>
>> By the way, I really appreciate the efforts you've been putting (as
>> a lurker, no less!) into careful reading of the minutes and careful
>> observation of our practices, and I'll endeavor to capture motions
>> more formally in future.
>>
>>  Eve
>>
>> On 29 Jul 2009, at 12:01 PM, Roger Martin wrote:
>>
>>> Eve,
>>>
>>> With respect to the first motion (Aug 15th deadline for Founding
>>> WG Charters).....
>>>
>>> The minutes do not make clear when the WG becomes a non-voting
>>> member of the LC if it fails to successfully submit its Charter by
>>> Aug 15th.  I think the minutes should clarify that the WG becomes
>>> non-voting effective 8/15/09 if it has not successfully submitted
>>> its charter.  If that happens, then it must then go through the
>>> normal process of creating a new WG (with Charter) in order to re-
>>> acquire a seat on the LC.
>>>
>>> I think that the motion that was approved was the following (and
>>> since I am not a member of the LC, this is just a friendly
>>> suggestion :-) ).

>>> Deadline for Submission of Founding Work Group Charters and
>>> Maintaining LC Voting Status

> [...]

Eve Maler                                          eve.maler @ sun.com
Emerging Technologies Director                    cell +1 425 345 6756
Sun Microsystems Identity Software                www.xmlgrrl.com/blog