[DG-IDoT] Common identity standard

Paul Madsen pmadsen at pingidentity.com
Fri Jul 24 06:10:58 CDT 2015

Hi nat, I would follow on to your steps below

On 7/24/15 4:56 AM, Nat Sakimura wrote:
> Yeah, it is nice, but WSDL would be too big.
> Remember that sending 1 byte over the radio takes as much power as
> encrypting 1000 bytes. Also, memory and processing power is becoming
> cheap, so in IoT context, we should probably treat "minimizing the
> radio packet" as the priority.
>
> As to the identification of the things are cocerned, the viable model
> that I imagine is as follows:
>
>  1. The device manufacutrer creates a good keypair and embeds the
>     private key (and its key thumbprint) in the device.
>  2. For device authentication, use the key to sign the message.

When acting on behalf of a user

3. Authenticated user facilitates delivery of tokens to device
4. Device authenticates to AS using embedded keys in order to obtain tokens
5. Device uses tokens to authenticate to cloud endpoints, other device etc

Tokens thereby reflect 'relationship' of user & device