[DG-IDoT] Common identity standard

Nat Sakimura sakimura at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 00:25:12 CDT 2015

Hi Ranjan,

I suppose you meant identifier, not identity.
Identity is often defined as 'set of attributes related to an entity'
(ISO/IEC 29115, ITU-T X.1254, OpenID Connect, etc.). It can be represented
in many ways, but X.509 (ASN.1), SAML(XML), ID Token (JSON) are some of the
popular formats.

There is no single standard for identifier.
However, we can represent them as URIs or URNs. XRI is another candidate.

One advantage of using URI/XRI is that you can resolve it to get more data
about it.

My 2c.

Nat Sakimura

--