[DG-IDoT] Common identity standard

Aninda Bhunia abhunia at inc38.com
Thu Jul 16 14:07:09 CDT 2015

Hi Ranjan,
You bring up interesting points but the question i believe, we need to ask,
is why (if at all) do we need to 'exchange' identity information and does
it make practical sense to have just one common identity structure in the
IoT ecosystem?

I dont think it would be practical nor scalable to have just one common
identity structure. Rather we need to have a flexible schema and a
universal discovery mechanism for identity attributes based on the type of
service an entity is interested in interacting with. Such a framework could
be configured with hierarchical rule sets which govern what 'kinds' of
entities are authorized to interact with the entity domain the rules govern
and with 'what capacity'.

would be interested in hearing other's thoughts.

Aninda

On Thu, Jul 16, 2015 at 2:38 PM, Ranjan Jain (ranjain) <ranjain at cisco.com>
wrote:

> Hey y’all,
> Hope everyone is doing well. Just wanted to bounce a question which I’m
> consistently getting asked around Identity, IoT perspective. Is there any
> industry standard in place or in works which can be used as a common
> standard across multiple identities. What I mean by this is that humans
> have SSN as an identity while a thermostat may have serial number while a
> network device may have a Mac ID as their identity. So, while individually
> they all have their own identity standard, when in the IoT world, all these
> entities start interacting with each other, how do we translate one
> identity into another or how will one identity interact with another
> identity in a standards way?
>
> Thanks
> Ranjan
>

> *Ranjan Jain*
> ARCHITECT.IT
> Information Technology
> ranjain at cisco.com
> Phone: *+1 408 853 4396 <%2B1%20408%20853%204396>*
> Mobile: *+1 408 627 9538 <%2B1%20408%20627%209538>*
>
> *Cisco Systems, Inc.*
> 400 East Tasman Drive
> San Jose
> California
> 95134
> United States
> Cisco.com <http://www.cisco.com/>
>  Think before you print.
>
> This email may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole
> use of the intended recipient. Any review, use, distribution or disclosure
> by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient (or
> authorized to receive for the recipient), please contact the sender by
> reply email and delete all copies of this message.

Aninda Bhunia

President, The Incubate Group

416.418.1674 (Phone)

(888) 483-3818 (fax)