[DG-IDoT] Google's "Physical Web"

benoit.bailleux at orange.com benoit.bailleux at orange.com
Fri Oct 10 11:47:54 CDT 2014

Hi all,

As mentioned during today's call, here some info on the new "Physical
Web" by Google. As far as I understand (but I didn't read the doc in
details), its main characteristics are :
  . it's a discovery service: a smart object broadcasts (e.g. over BLE)
relevant URLs that any nearby device can receive (*)
  . an URL is associated with each object; this URL can be opened with
any application (e.g. a web browser)
  . a web page is associated to the URL. The URL can change through
time; the web page can request credentials etc.

(*) I realize that this URL may correspond to a resource that is not
located in the object itself. In that case, the object is just a beacon
that gives an entry point to a service.

See
https://google.github.io/physical-web/
and
https://github.com/google/physical-web

At the same time, someone told me about dweet.io, a start-up the has
deployed a service also based on URL as an identifier for object, but
with apparently a different approach. See https://dweet.io/

Regards,
--
Benoît Bailleux
Orange Labs, P&S / Architecture — Security — Enablers