[DG-IDoT] starter set of IoT defintions

j stollman stollman.j at gmail.com
Thu Feb 13 10:38:06 CST 2014

Ingo,

I appreciate your initiate in working to improve the straw man document.  I
agree with some of your suggestions and disagree with others.  One key
difference in our thinking is that I view the definitions if "type" as a
logical architecture, while your perspective is that we need to address the
physical architecture.  Perhaps we need both.  The group will have to
decide.

Below is my feedback on your proposed changes:

   1. Intro bullet 1  device vs. instance.  I can accept that "device"
   might be misleading and cause people to only think in terms of hardware. I
   understand your point about much of the heavy lifting of a processor being
   performed by software, but I believe that the term "instance" is so generic
   that it will create more confusion.  Whether an application is on a chip, a
   dedicated device, a shared device, or a device in the cloud, it must run on
   something.   The processor is really a combination of the application and
   the device it runs on.   We might want to change the word "device," but I
   am uncomfortable with substituting "instance".  Perhaps we should merely
   call it a "thing" -- one of many components on the Internet of Things.
    But, personally, I think that the word "thing" doesn't sound precise
   enough.
   2. Intro bullet 2  adding the concept of identify relationships to the
   discussion of ownership.  Identity relationships are important, but I think
   that they are "second order" characteristics.  Because identity
   relationships are likely to be in continuous flux and new roles may arise
   for many "things," I don't think that they are as fundamental as type,
   ownership, and accessibility.  Perhaps they represent a fourth category.
    But I don't think that they should be mixed with ownership.
   3. Figure. 1  changing the image of processor in Figure 1 to something
   more "up-to-date".  I have no objection to this recommendation.  Have at it.
   4. 1.2  Data Processor vs. Data Processor/Processor Application.  I
   would give the same argument here as for the device issue in #1 above.
    Admittedly all processing requires an application, but I don't know that
   the distinction is important enough to complicate the picture.  Just
   because processing takes place in the cloud rather than locally changes the
   physical architecture but not the logical architecture.
   5. 1.4 Adding gateway as a device type.  I see "gateway" as an element
   of the network, not of the "things" on the network.  The "Internet of
   Things" isn't just a collection of things; it is a collection of things
   connected by a network infrastructure.  I see "gateway" as part of this
   network infrastructure, rather than one of the "things" being integrated.
   6. 1.5  additions to definition of "combination".  Based on my
   discussion regarding gateways above, I do not believe that the addition is
   appropriate.
   7. 2.  Relationships description.  I don't disagree with any of the
   points made about the different relationships described here.  I just think
   that they are independent of the notion of ownership and should be
   addressed separately.  The various "relationship" roles all need to be
   allocated by the "owner" -- though the owner may choose to delegate some of
   his authority.
   8. 3.1  additions to the definition of "discoverable".  I have no
   objection to the additions
   9. 3.2  additional to the definition of "not discoverable".  I would
   argue that a "thing" not connected to the network is not a member of the
   "Internet of Things" and, therefore, falls outside of the scope of the
   document.  For this reason, I would not support the addition.

--
Jeff Stollman
stollman.j at gmail.com
1 202.683.8699