[DG-IDoT] SCAP Asset Identification

Scott Shorter sshorter at electrosoft-inc.com
Fri Aug 8 10:41:36 CDT 2014

A rundown on what I think are relevant things about SCAP's Asset
Identification standard to this group:

   - It provides a naming scheme for the types of objects listed in section
   5.3 (person, org, system, software, database, network, service, data,
   computing device, circuit, website)
   - Same section describes the following types of identifiers:
      - *literal identifiers* are pre-defined values that can define an
      asset, e.g. MAC address
      - *synthetic identifiers* are used when an identifier is assigned to
      the asset, e.g. hostname or IP address
      - *relationship identifiers* (!) where there is information that
      relates an asset to another asset

I have some quibbles with the document but overall it's very good.  It
focuses on the IT-sphere rather than the entire IOT but with protocol
extensibility it could be a good approach to identification. Discovery is
still the harder problem.

Attached is my diagram representing the data model used by the standard.
-
Scott