[DG-IDoT] Defining when a thing has an identity

j stollman stollman.j at gmail.com
Tue Sep 24 19:39:25 CDT 2013

I would suggest that "things" have/need their own identify when they are
communicated with by having their own address that makes them accessible to
anyone over the internet.

If anyone can access the device (such as a network printer) by sending a
command to its address, then it has its own identity.  Captive devices that
would not require identities would be items like direct-attached printers.

Jeff

Jeff Stollman
stollman.j at gmail.com
1 202.683.8699

Truth never triumphs — its opponents just die out.
Science advances one funeral at a time.
                                    Max Planck