[DG-IDoT] out IDoT topics

j stollman stollman.j at gmail.com
Mon Nov 18 16:39:40 CST 2013

I am not yet convinced that the ability to link everything through a single
protocol is desirable.

The notion of being able to obtain data from all sensors and/or to be able
to control all active components is alluring.  But, I would assert that
anything that we can do with this new ability, adversaries can exploit as
well.

The notion of defense-in-depth is to complicate control of devices by using
multiple protocols.  This makes it more difficult for adversaries to take
over our networks and devices.

Deciding which devices to make easily accessible and which to make more
complicated is going to be a complicated process.

Jeff

On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 9:16 AM, Salvatore D'Agostino <sal at idmachines.com>wrote:

> Thanks Ingo,
>

> Yes that’s a traditional SCADA approach.  Certainly applies, sensor
> \controller\ network
>

> At the same time the reason we are talking about this is that much of this
> is available at the edge.
>

> Rgds all,
>

> Sal

Jeff Stollman
stollman.j at gmail.com
1 202.683.8699

Truth never triumphs — its opponents just die out.
Science advances one funeral at a time.
                                    Max Planck