[DG-IDoT] IDoT telecon 2013-12-17

Scott Shorter sshorter at electrosoft-inc.com
Tue Dec 17 08:30:43 CST 2013

Hi Ingo,

As promised, some initial thoughts about object identifiers.  As this group
will know, "object" and "identifier" are such general words that putting
the two together leads to a lot of variation.

Here's a fun fact that I learned while working on this - the term
"registration authority" comes from the ITU-T OID governance scheme.  An
OID RA's job is to assign OIDs within the managed arc (including the
integer and the associated name describing the integer value) but they are
not required to verify anything except the uniqueness of the issued integer
value.  Or as ITU-T X.660 section 6.3.1 says:

"A Registration Authority may concern itself only with unambiguous
assignment of names (the administrative
role), or may in addition need to concern itself with recording definitions
of objects and verifying that these definitions
are in accordance with the ITU-T Recommendation and/or International
Standard defining the form of the definition
(the technical role)."

Anyway, hope this contribution is helpful, look forward to talking today.
-
Scott