[DG-BSC] Provenance definitions for BSC Report

Kathleen Connor kathleen_connor at comcast.net
Thu Jan 26 16:52:18 CST 2017

Hi

Below are the best Provenance definitions that seem appropriate for the BSC
Report that I can find among the ISO/NIST etc. sources I reviewed.

Provenance = DF:  Information about entities, activities, and people
involved in producing a piece of data or thing, which can be used to form
assessments about its quality, reliability or trustworthiness.

W3C PROV-Overview http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/WD-prov-overview-20121211

Provenance of a resource is a record that describes entities and processes
involved in producing and delivering or otherwise influencing that resource.
Provenance provides a critical foundation for assessing authenticity,
enabling trust, and allowing reproducibility. Provenance assertions are a
form of contextual metadata and can themselves become important records with
their own provenance.

[W3C Provenance XG Final Report]
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/prov/XGR-prov-20101214/#Importance_of_prove
nance