[DG-BSC] Notes from BSC telecon Thursday August 16

Eve Maler eve.maler at forgerock.com
Tue Aug 16 11:37:30 CDT 2016

http://kantarainitiative.org/confluence/display/BSC/2016-08+%28August+2016%29+Meetings#id-2016-08(August2016)Meetings-TuesdayAugust16

Agenda:

   - Technology subsection candidate: describing and analyzing "blockchain"
   (Jeff and Eve)
      - Vs. "smart contract"?
   - Use case content mappings to technology content

Attending: Eve, John W, Domenico, Scott S, Thomas, Jeff, Scott D (deeply
interested in progress in distributed systems that are reliable), Jim,
Andrew, John M, Colin

Looking at Eve's candidate definition of blockchain: The second bullet: The
value is transparency, is not privacy per se. Or secrecy per se?
Transparency isn't necessarily inconsistent with privacy. Data controllers
need to be transparent.

If many of the risks are controlled for by putting all the nodes in the
same cloud or the same organizational domain (where "distributed" is
defined in a very special way), it's still a blockchain.

There's support for the three bullets at least as a starter definition,
along with the "SWOT" subbullets beneath them. Jeff believes that the only
requirement for it to be a blockchain is a particular encryption mechanism
for the ledger, but we didn't reach (ahem) consensus on that. Let's share
the writeups on the list and see if we can form a draft subsection shortly,
and then leverage the SWOTs and other analyses to build our understanding
of how well the use cases can be served by the technologies and techniques.
Eve makes an exhortation for use cases not to *assume* use of technologies,
but to *test* them for suitability.

*Eve Maler*ForgeRock Office of the CTO | VP Innovation & Emerging Technology
*ForgeRock Summits and UnSummits* are coming to
<http://summits.forgerock.com/> *London and Paris!*