[DG-BSC] Blockstack identity services

James Hazard james.g.hazard at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 09:11:25 CDT 2016

JimW - yes, IAMAL, but that's my understanding.  Merkel is the root.

Patrick - I was unaware of Zittrain's work on this balance of security.  If
you have link ... ?

If banks or other "regulated databases" (phrase from Circle) act as hosts
and intermediaries, the platform could fine-tune the balances between
oversight and privacy.  Parts can be encrypted end to end, so the bank and
others know very little.  Parts could be encrypted on the way to the bank
and then decrypted and recrypted as appropriate.

Of course, any hub could act in this role, and I am not pitching on behalf
of banks.  But, as a lawyer looking to piece together a solution, banks
have the advantages that they are highly regulated, quasi-local, already
custodians of our creepiest data, and numerous (as opposed to telcos and
e-commerce giants which will bump into monopoly issues).  There is a
long-standing relationship (in civil law systems there is even a general
principle of bank secrecy).  It is imperfect, and abused, but their is a
conversation chain of bank and regulator, with legislature, customers,
activists and public.  They are nodes with lots of edges.

A shared record format enables portability and open source would make it
cheap to be a bank - giving the customer leverage and keeping
intermediaries focused on their mission.

I did a sketch of what it might look like to treat (all of) banking as a
file system -
http://www.commonaccord.org/index.php?action=list&file=bqc/fr/bnpp/a5we/
The context is French banks and an effort by "LaBChain" - the French
finance industry's exploration of blockchains.  So I used French examples,
and demonstrate how they could be helpful to enterprise formation and
capitalization by curating legal documentation.  Here the "identities" are
bank accounts, "roles" that are well-anchored in local law.

@commonaccord