[DG-BSC] Blockstack identity services

John Wunderlich john at wunderlich.ca
Wed Aug 3 19:41:58 CDT 2016

If the goal is transparency and the affliction of the powerful to comfort
the afflicted, then it seems that a publicly distributed and inspectable
ledger would have a role to play.

If the goal is privacy and anonymity, then efficiently managing large
numbers of entries may be counterproductive and large latency and search
inefficiency becomes a feature.

Just chumming the waters….

Sincerely,
John Wunderlich
@PrivacyCDN

Call: +1 (647) 669-4749
eMail: john at wunderlich.ca

On 3 August 2016 at 10:08, James Hazard <james.g.hazard at gmail.com> wrote:

> Though "Blockchain" is in the title of this discussion group, it need not
> be in all of the solutions.  "Blockchains" have large privacy and data
> security challenges built into maintaining consensus on the state of the
> ledger (database).  Most real life situations have available a range of
> alternative means of validating the state of the ledger.  For instance, a
> regulator.
>
> So, we might view it as a bug, rather than a feature, if a "smart
> contract" solution requires execution on a blockchain.
>
> Organizations and humans will want to be able to efficiently manage large
> numbers of ledger entries, in efficient databases (SQL, graph, IPFS), not
> blockchains.  They will need to be able to run the smart contracts on those
> other platforms.
>
> Data replication should be minimized, and temporary to the extent
> possible.  This will, I think, also be required by GDPR.
>
> The necessary point of agreement, the waist of the Zittrain hourglass, is
> very small - a format for ledger entries.  CommonAccord asserts (I assert
> on its behalf) that the key to this is ... key/values, a way of resolving
> references, and inheritance.  For good reasons, JSON is a likely to be the
> most common "punctuation" (Eve's word) for exchange of ledger entries.  Our
> current rendering engine uses plain text and carriage returns.  That is the
> lightest "punctuation" and may be the best for collaboration on big texts,
> notably for collaboration among lawyers and regulators on Github.  It
> closely parallels the presentation of software source code.  But this
> barely matters.  What matters is a common approach to linking and
> inheritance.
>

> On Wed, Aug 3, 2016 at 6:53 AM, John Wunderlich <john at wunderlich.ca>
> wrote:
>
>> Domenico;
>>
>> As soon as the use case makes Alice's role that of a "Citizen" a whole
>> raft of non-technical issues arise that should be addressed. How do you
>> implement privacy protection into the architecture to avoid abuse by
>> authoritarian regimes? If I think of all the cases where I'm asked to
>> present government issued ID as proof of identity, and then ask, "Would it
>> be a good thing if there was an permanent audit trail available to the
>> government (any state agency) of all those interactions?"
>>
>> I would restate your problem definition to see if we can design a wide
>> identity ecosystem use case for managing citizen identities that enables
>> (or better, only works if) citizens control their own identities.
>>
>> (PS, see my signature block below, apropos of this issue)
>>
>> John Wunderlich,
>>
>> Sent frum a mobile device,
>> Pleez 4give speling erurz
>>
>> "...a world of near-total surveillance and endless record-keeping is
>> likely to be one with less liberty, less experimentation, and certainly far
>> less joy..." A. Michael Froomkin

prohibited.