Blog

Blog

IAWG Update
    • IAWG is reviewing and responding to the comments received from the Public and IPR review of the SAC developed to meet the requirements expressed in NIST SP800-63 rev 3. The comments are, for the most part, aimed at the requirements expressed in NIST document. The Disposition Log and Documents are being revised so they can be submitted for LC’s approval for a two-week all-member ballot. We are on schedule to meet the NIST deadline of March 21st.
    • IAWG is also repackaging KIAF 1400 (current SAC) to enable parts of it to be used with the SAC it has developed for 800-63 Rev3 to approve CSPs. The effort is focused on ensuring that the changes are viewed as “immaterial changes” so that they do not require a public review or all member ballot.


CIS WG Update

The Consent and Information Sharing WG is currently processing comments received during the Public Review of the Consent Receipt v1.1 specification. We expect to have this finished by the end of February, then on to all-member ballot in March 2018.

The Consent Management Solutions WG will have its first WG call Wednesday February 21 2018 at 15:00 GMT / 10:00 Eastern / 7:00 Pacific. Chair Corné and Vice-Chair Julian will present the overall plan, initial work packages list and schedule. Please join us!

UMA WG Update
  • Now that Kantara has published the UMA2 Recommendations (for which a formal press release and a blog post are under way), the Work Group has (finally) begun discussing refreshing its charter to reflect the next phase of its work. This is likely to include the ongoing legal/business/trust efforts, potential work items around extensions, and promoting adoption and interoperability.
  • The Legal subgroup (which may take on a revised name) has voted to approve its first Draft Report and submit it to the Leadership Council for certification for publishing. This report describes "how the UMA protocol enables a license-based model for controlling access rights to personal digital assets".

The formal launch of the Consent Management Solutions WG happened at the November Consumer Identity World event in Paris.

iWelcome and digi.me are leading the charge & the WG roster is starting to get bigger. We anticipate the first WG call to happen mid-January 2018. 

The Consent Receipt v1.1 is in Public Review until January 20, 2018. This is a major milestone for the WG and prepares the foundation to allow 'overlays' and profiles to be created to suit the specific needs of localized regulations. We've received some comments already and will be working on resolution early in the new year.


Members of the Kantara Initiative Consent & Information Sharing WG have recently approved the Consent Receipt Specification v1.1.0 draft 7 2017-11-20. The document described below now enters a 45-day public comment and IPR review period in preparation for a member ballot to consider its approval as a Kantara Initiative Recommendation.

Document: Consent Receipt Specification

Version: v1.1.0 draft 7

Document Date: 2017-11-20

Document URL: Download the document 

Overview of Document: A Consent Receipt is a record of authority granted by a Personally Identifiable Information (PII) Principal to a PII Controller for processing of the Principal’s PII. The record of consent is human-readable and can be represented as standard JSON. This specification defines the requirements for the creation of a consent record and the provision of a human-readable receipt. The standard includes requirements for links to existing privacy notices & policies as well as a description of what information has been or will be collected, the purposes for that collection as well as relevant information about how that information will be used or disclosed. This specification is based on current privacy and data protection principles as set out in various data protection laws, regulations and international standards.

This is an open invitation to comment. Kantara Initiative solicits feedback from potential users, developers and, other interested parties, whether Kantara Initiative members or not, for the sake of improving the interoperability and quality of its technical work.

Public Review and IPR Review Period Opens: 2017-12-07, 20:00 UTC

Public Review and IPR Review Period Closes: 2018-1-20, 19:59 UTC

To Comment on the Specification: To comment please use the form located at: https://kantarainitiative.org/comment/or email your comments to staff@kantarainitiative.org with the subject "CISWG COMMENT SUBMISSION".

Note that any submissions are deemed to be contributed under the IPR Option of the WG: Patent & Copyright: Reciprocal Royalty Free with Opt-Out to Reasonable And Non-discriminatory (RAND)

UMA WG Update for 2017
  • In 2017, the WG completed its V2.0 specification edits, undertook two public comment and IPR review periods and disposed of comments arising from these periods, and remanded the specifications to the LC for certification towards an All-Member Ballot. The WG is currently considering a late-breaking comment related to security arising out of the (successful) All-Member Ballot prior to publication of the Recommendations. In 2018, post-publication, the WG will work on a fresh Roadmap, considering joint consent receipt work, working on issues with the "extension" label, and whatever else rises to the top of its list.
  • In 2017, the Legal subgroup worked with legal expert Tim Reiniger to produce three contracted deliverables, and then put together major elements of a new UMA legal framework, in the form of a document and a series of diagrams. The framework is approaching full draft completion and readiness for practical review. In 2018, the subgroup will review its Mission, considering completing the framework document as soon as possible, working with one or more UMA deployers interested to contribute case studies, and developing the first sets of template contract and license text.
IAWG Update
  • Service Assessment Criteria for NIST 800-63 Rev 3 Parts A and B have been developed. IAWG has approved them and they are now out for Public and IPR review with a closing date of 2018-1-29.
  • Comments prepared for on the drafts of GSA TFS Certification Process and Concepts of Operations for approval by the Board of Directors.
UMA WG Update
  • The WG has approved its UMA 2.0 Draft Recommendations (revs 09) for certification by the LC to go to All-Member Ballot. If all goes well with both the remaining steps, we anticipate reaching Recommendation stage by mid-December.
  • The Legal subgroup is working on a draft legal framework document.
  • The WG is looking at some new candidate logos for UMA.
IAWG Update
  • Efforts underway to revitalize the Kantara IAF to accommodate release 3 of NIST SP800-63
  • Still working with IDESG on operationalizing the use of Kantara approval of a CSP for the CSP to self assert to the IDESG
OTTO Update

Slow summer, we had very few meetings. Currently working on the JSON-LD vocabulary for SAML. 

In the past we had looked at blockchain technologies as a solution for publishing federation data, but we got bogged down on the logistical details-- for example, which blockchain, what is the business model, how would we publish claims. Sovrin maybe provides some of the answers to this question. More information about Sovrin can be found at http://sovrin.org. The design of OTTO aligns nicely with Sovrin. We are using JSON-LD as the data format, and the API's defined in OTTO could be used as Sovrin data endpoints. 

The DHS ERASMUS pilot, which has been a driver for OTTO, is currently in limbo. The ERASMUS team will be presenting the work to the DHS first responder S&T group for December 7th. That is seen as a necessary gate for Phase II of the project.

Mike will be presenting OTTO at an Internet2 conference right before IIW.

UMA WG Update
  • The Work Group completed its process of disposing of all comments received since the beginning of the Public Comment and IPR Review period, and subsequently successfully held an electronic ballot as follows: "Having disposed of all Public Comment/IPR Review period comments, approve UMA 2.0 Grant rev 08 and FedAuthz rev 08 as Draft Recommendations and forward them, with reference to the UMA 2.0 Disposition of Comments, to the Kantara Leadership Council to request their certification and determination of their next step towards finalization as Recommendations." The Disposition of Comments records 37 comments (not corresponding precisely to the number of GitHub issues, which was 28). No IP claims were received. The preponderance of the edits made to the specifications were editorial. As noted in the Disposition of Comments, there were five technical changes, described thusly: "The technical changes fall into two categories: Reintroducing UMA1 design elements (items 2 and 5) and tracking existing OAuth design elements (items 1, 3, and 4) -- the latter aligning with one of our key roadmap design priorities ("simplify the protocol and make it work more like OAuth")."
  • The Legal subgroup's deliverable #3, has been completed and posted on the Legal mini-site. The subgroup will begin work on a single short, comprehensive framework document and then initial tools during Q4.

Please add your own rows!

** : indicates that there is a Kantara Member discount code available

ConferenceLocationDatesCall for Speakers
IIW XXVMountain ViewOctober 17-19, 2017n/a
Identity North West **VancouverNovember 7, 8, 2017Open now
Consumer Identity World Europe **ParisNovember 27-29, 2017Kantara workshop
Consumer Identity World APAC **SingaporeDecember 12-14, 2017Kantara workshop
TIIME 2018ViennaFebruary 7-8, 2018n/a
KnowIdentity 2018WashingtonMarch 26-28, 2018September 22, 2017
IIW #XXVIMountain ViewApril 3-5, 2017n/a
RSA 2018San FranciscoApril 16-20, 2018September 28, 2017
Internet2 Global Summit 2018San DiegoMay 6-9, 2018TBD
EIC 2018MunichMay 15-18, 2018January 15, 2018
Identiverse 2018BostonJune 24-27, 2018TBD
IAWG Update

• Preparing to support efforts to revitalize the Kantara IAF to accommodate release 3 of NIST SP800-63
• Still working with IDESG on operationalizing the use of Kantara approval of a CSP for the CSP to self assert to the IDESG

UMA WG Update
  • The Work Group has been discussing the issues (editorial or the moral equivalent so far) that have come in during its Draft Recommendations' Public Comment and IPR Review period. That period ends on Wednesday, July 12 at 11:59 UTC. We have also been requesting IANA registration of various specification artifacts, since the specifications are now presumed to be technically stable. NOTE: If, as anticipated, the Work Group is able to approve final Draft Recommendations for balloting in its July 13 meeting, we will seek Leadership Council certification preparatory to All-Member Balloting in the LC's July 19 meeting (or an e-ballot as soon as practicable thereafter).
  • The Legal subgroup has continued working with Tim Reiniger on its legal framework. The final deliverable of three to be produced by Tim is slated to be done soon. It will include a mapping of defined UMA party roles to licensing roles and privacy-legal concepts. We have begun discussing who from the legal world may be interested to review this work. (These three deliverables may serve as input to additional written deliverables by the Legal subgroup on the subject of the legal framework, beyond the envisioned "toolkits".)