Child pages
  • 2017-11-15 Meeting notes DRAFT
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata



Connected Life Innovation Groups
IRMWG1stSalvatore D'Agostino (LC Secretary)


IRMWG2ndBill Nelson
UMAWG1stEve Maleryes
UMAWG2ndMaciej Machulak
CISWG1stAndrew Hughes (LC Chair)

John Wunderlich


Mark Lizar (LC Vice-Chair)
Mary Hodder
Ingo Friese
Thomas Hardjono
Eve Maleryes
Trust Services Interoperability Groups
IAWG1stKen Daggyes
IAWG2ndScott Shorter
HIAWG1stNON-VOTING 2016-09-07

Rainer Hoerbe

eGovWG2ndKeith Uber

John Bradley

FIWG2ndWalter Forbes Hoehn
OTTOWG1stMichael Schwartzyes
OTTOWG2ndJanusz Ulanowski
Kantara-Colin Wallis
Virtual-Megan Cannonyes

NOTE: As of April 19, 2017, for calculation of quorum there are 7 WGs.

Agenda and Meeting Notes

TopicDesired Outcome
Meeting Administration
Roll Call
Agenda Confirmation

New items:

  • Next steps for UMA drafts
    • Second public review completed
    • WG creating disposition for the latest comments, and interpreting the most recent comment.
    • WG will meet today to decide next step, and create recommended motion for eballot to LC
    • Andrew will look at documents to make sure they conform to the template
    • Once LC votes, Next step: All member ballot
  • LC Elections
    • Annual reconfirmation of leadership team - line up in December call - Chair, VC(s), Secretary. Send out nomination call in the next week, set up ballot for next call.
  • Events Committee
    • Mark Lizar proposed events committee with LC participation
    • International privacy summit is first proposal - see if it gets BoD approval and participation
    • Looking for volunteer for events committee from LC and nominate someone to help create the first event
    • Colin created distro list
    • Andrew has self-nominated to be on the committee
    • Committee will be a general event committee, with first task to address January event proposal
    • Need to clarify what role partners will have
    • Need to look deeper at budget and insurance, as well as date - might be too soon
  • ISO SC 27 meeting report (ACH)
    • Kantara has liaison agreement with ISO SC 27, particularly WG5
    • On privacy standards: talks about notice and consent requirements
    • Hand in hand with CMS WG work
    • updates to ISO 29 100 and other admin updates.
    • Periodical review at 5 year mark, the committee reviews to determine if the standard needs revision.
    • Most critical standards are under review, updating or studying
    • the standard that is equivalent to our Assurance framework is in study mode now, closes in next couple of months, and they will do a revision based on 800 63 3.
    • US delegation member of NIST is the US editor
    • Another study period is called Identity standards landscape - roadmap and path for ISO SC 27.
    • Andrew joined identity frameworks, (29 003) with delegate from Belgium and New Zealand.
    • If you are on Kantara ISO liaison committee - this is the time to pay attention
    • Timeframe for impacting IAF - 1.5-3 years
    • How aligned are US, Canada and UK against uprising from other bodies?
  • Operating Procedures
    • Revision of document is underway
    • Kantara bylaws were updated, and Operating Procedures need to extend and reflect the bylaws
    • Section on publication process to take a document from idea, through all processes to publication
    • Need reviewers from LC
      • Eve, John volunteered to review
Minutes confirmation

Draft minutes for approval:

2017-10-18 Meeting notes DRAFT

2017-08-16 Meeting Notes DRAFT

2017-05-17 Meeting Notes DRAFT

2017-03-15 Meeting Notes DRAFT

2017-01-18 Meeting Notes DRAFT

"To approve listed meeting minutes"

Motion by:




Organizational Updates
Executive Director and Staff Report

Director's Corner: 2017: September

  • New GoTo Meeting (GTM) lines
    • Final switchover from turbobridge to happen Friday afternoon
  • Changed Time Zone Converter to comply with accessibility: switch from to, which is WCAG 2.0 compatible.
  • Membership Restructure changes to take effect January 4, 2018
    • new prices and structure to steamline and reduce number of categories. Easier for small businesses to join and contribute.
  • LC to review Accenture document with credit as reviewer to Kantara - Colin to send
LC Chair Report

The Kantara Initiative is the global consortium improving trustworthy use of identity and personal data through innovation, standardization and good practice.

  • Corporate members needed - membership dues offset operational costs and allow the Groups to operate with a 'No-Fee' participation structure.
  • Kantara is highly visibile at the events our members attend - leads to good ideas for new work and coverage areas
  • Very strong interest in Consent management and Consent receipt
  • Board of Directors will start planning for 2018 fiscal/calendar year in October - Groups that have publications or work projects on their roadmaps should inform the board (via LC) about plans and support requirements.
  • New WG starting soon to develop "Consent Management Solutions - Best Current Practices" publication, hopefully leading to assessment criteria and certification/trust mark. Will complement the Consent Receipt Specification work.
New Business
WG/DG Updates

Administrative Reminders/Requests: Please ensure your WG and DG charters are reasonably current. These are supposed to be reviewed annually.

IRM WG - WG discussing what the next Publication topic will be

OTTO WG - OTTO v1 spec under development. Adding budget for developer in 2018

UMA WG  - UMA v2.0 Recommendation(s) in 45-day Public Comment and IPR review period now (2017-09-28 to 2017-11-12)

BSC DG - Ready, waiting for staff to post the Report. IT is testing now.

IA WG - Sub-committee working on Kantara criteria to match NIST 800-63-3 updates.

CIS WG - Consent Receipt Specification v1.1 in development

eGov WG - Final cleanup before publication of report stuck on Andrew's desk

FI WG - Disposition of comments on saml2int profile underway. ?New SAML profile to address 800-63-3 changes?

IDoT DG - ?What Report is being developed for publication?

Launching New WG/DG's
  • Discussions ongoing on the draft charter to launch a WG to publish "Consent Management Solutions - Best Current Practices". Sponsorship dollars have been committed to contract an editor and other resources.
    • Draft charter looks good
  • Work has started to draft a charter for a new Blockchain WG (Hardjono, Maler, others)

New publication type
  • Andrew proposes to define a new type of Kantara publication: the 'Best Current Practice' Recommendation. This would follow the same intent as with IETF BCP documents. 
  • Currently the publication type: 'Recommendation' has sub-types of 'Recommendation' and 'Technical Specification'. The 'Best Current Practice' would become a third sub-type.
    "The BCP subseries of the RFC series is designed to be a way to standardize practices and the results of community deliberations.  A BCP document is subject to the same basic set of procedures as standards track documents and thus is a vehicle by which the IETF community can define and ratify the community's best current thinking on a statement of principle or on what is believed to be the best way to perform some operations or IETF process function."
    Ref: IETF BCP 9
Long-running Topics
Action Items Review

Please take a moment to review the list of action items and do your best to take action.

GDPR-Related Activities
Policies & Procedures update

Operating Procedures are being updated to match the current version of Bylaws. Some streamlining and addition of document publication procedures is being done as well.

New boilerplate templates for email ballots are being created.

Tips and Tricks
2018 Project Funding

Please begin preparation of project proposals for your WG/DG for the 2018 fiscal year.

Proposals should be approved by LC and in front of the Board by October.

Projects that fit into a longer-term roadmap or plan will be viewed favorably (smile)

Document repo/Publications Library
Kantara-presence Events

List of future events on

ConferenceLocationDatesCall for Speakers
IAPP PSR 2017San DiegoOctober 15-16; 16-18 2017closed
IIW XXVMountain ViewOctober 17-19, 2017n/a
Identity North WestVancouverNovember 7, 8, 2017Closed
TIIME 2018ViennaFebruary 7-8, 2018n/a
Privacy and security Conference 19th: Security & Privacy: A Global EvolutionVictoriaFebruary 7-9, 2018Closed
KnowIdentity 2018WashingtonMarch 26-28, 2018Closed
IAPP Global Privacy Summit 2018WashingtonMarch 25-26; March 27-28, 2018Closed
IIW #XXVIMountain ViewApril 3-5, 2017n/a
RSA 2018San FranciscoApril 16-20, 2018Closed
Internet2 Global Summit 2018San DiegoMay 6-9, 2018October 30, 2017
EIC 2018MunichMay 15-18, 2018January 15, 2018
IAPP Canada Privacy Symposium 2018TorontoMay 22-23; May 24-25, 2018November 12, 2017
Identiverse 2018BostonJune 24-27, 2018TBD

** Not listed on Kantara site yet


Action Items