This Work Group operates under the Kantara IPR Policy - Option Patent & Copyright: Reciprocal Royalty Free with Opt-Out to Reasonable And Non discriminatory (RAND) (HTML version). You can find any opt-outs on this page.
Home | Intro | → Join ← | List | Archive (Mailman) | Archive (Google) | Calendar
|title||The UMA Work Group charter is revised|
Want to know if collaborative work on User-Managed Access is for you? Check out the group's charter document! The next phase of our efforts involves four prongs: 1) spec enhancements (such as extensions); 2) business model (aka "UMA Legal") work; 3) promoting adoption; and 4) promoting interop. If any of these could accelerate your own efforts, join us!TheUMA 2.0 Grant for OAuth 2.0 Authorization and Federated Authorization for UMA 2.0 Recommendationscan be downloaded at the Kantara Reports & Recommendations page. Need to cite or deep-link? Find HTML versions here: Grant, FedAuthz.Many resources to understand more about UMA are available. Don't miss the slides and video from Authorization: Age of UMA, the "Introducing UMA 2.0" session delivered by two UMA coauthors at the Chicago Cloud Identity Summit. The Release Notes are up to date with all spec changes through the first Public Comment period
We are undertaking some important new work on an UMA "relationship manager" extension to fully enable a resource owner dashboard experience, and more. You can check it out by reading our Meetings and Minutes. To understand more about our work on business-legal considerations, including identity relationship management (IRM)-based delegation use cases, see our Legal hub page. If you're interested to contribute to any of this, be sure to click our Join link above! ⬆︎
Here are the UMA Grant (PDF, HTML for deep linking) and UMA Federated Authorization Recommendations (PDF, HTML for deep linking). Don't miss the UMA2 masterclass delivered by two UMAnitarians at the Identiverse conference in Boston in June 2018 (slides and video). (The slides and video from the previous year's Authorization: Age of UMA session set in the Marvel Cinematic Universe was also a big hit!) The Release Notes review all final UMA1-to-UMA2 changes. See also the UMA Implementer's Guide, our list of known Implementations, and discussions of Case Studies, all of which continue to grow. Finally, see the detailed UMA Grant sequence diagram and FedAuthz sequence diagram.
User-Managed Access (UMA) is an award-winning OAuth-based protocol designed to give an individual a unified control point for authorizing who and what can get access to their digital data, content, and services, no matter where all those things live. Read the specs, join the group, check out the implementations, follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook, get involved!
The UMA Roadmap for 2016 page guided the use cases and technical issues that the Work Group focused on in its group is currently working on extensions to UMA V2.0 effort. You can find other drivers in the Work Group's original compendium of Scenarios and Use Cases, its Case Studies page, and its User Stories page.
The short link for this page is http://tinyurl.com/umawg.
- Jul 18: At the Identiverse conference in Boston, Mike Schwartz and Eve Maler presented an UMA 2.0 Deep Dive masterclass, including two walkthroughs of implementations. See their presentation here.
- May 24: At the EIC18 conference in Munich, Eve Maler presented Leveraging UMA's Power for Compliance and User Control, which reflected the current state of the group's work on its business model. See her presentation here.
- May 15: Check out the UMA Work Group update from the EIC18 Kantara Showcase. Follow along with the European Identity and Cloud Conference at #EIC18 and @KantaraNews.
- May 9: Head over to our Implementations page to see who has implemented UMA2 so far – the latest is RedHat Keycloak.
- Mar 2: Our Legal subgroup has produced its first draft report: A Proposed Licensing Model for User-Managed Access (or, "How the UMA protocol enables a license-based model for controlling access rights to personal digital assets"). This paper is intended for professionals in the areas of law, privacy, risk, compliance, security policy, and business policy, particularly those responsible for building and running UMA-enabled services. Much more to come in this area. Want to get involved? Join us!
- Feb 27: The group charter has been updated with a fresh roadmap of activities now that UMA 2.0 is complete – check it out!
- Feb 22: Congratulations to Tim Reiniger, our newly confirmed Legal Editor on the UMA Leadership Team! He has already contributed a great deal to our work on an UMA Business Model – stay tuned for publication of our first document. If you're interested in our Legal efforts specifically, get in touch with the chair.
- January 24: You can find slides from an IAM Meetup presentation on "GDPR, PSD2, CIAM, and UMA 2.0" by Eve Maler here.
- January 13: Read the press release about the publication of the UMA 2.0 specifications!
- January 9: The UMA 2.0 Grant for OAuth 2.0 Authorization and Federated Authorization for UMA 2.0 specifications have been published as Recommendations! You can download them at the Kantara Reports & Recommendations page. (Need to cite or deep-link? Find HTML versions here: Grant, FedAuthz.)6 Sep '21: Congratulations to UMA WG members from Origo on their role in the UK Pensions Dashboard Programme! See this page in the Kantara wiki for more information on using UMA for PDP purposes.
- 10 Jun '21: Congratulations to the new leadership team members! Alec Laws (of Identos) is the Chair and Steve Venema (of ForgeRock) is the Vice-Chair. The WG extends its thanks to former Chair Eve Maler for her previous service as chair. Information about the entire leadership team is here.
- 20 Apr '21: You can get the latest and greatest UMA 101 presentation delivered by UMAnitarians Eve and George at IIW here.
- 3 Dec '20: The UMA Work Group is pleased to accept a new profile contribution (to be provided immently) related to UK Pensions Dashboards as shown on-screen at its meeting today. Read all about it on our updated Third-Party Profiles and Extensions page.
- 15 Oct '20: We are undertaking some important new work on an UMA "policy manager" extension, and more. You can check it out by reading our Meetings and Minutes, and if you're interested to contribute, be sure to click our Join link above! ⬆︎
- 1 Oct '20: WG chair Eve Maler presented UMA, including analyses and comparisons to some other technologies, to the Decentralized Identity Foundation Secure Data Storage WG. Here are her slides.