Child pages
  • UMA telecon 2011-10-06
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

UMA telecon 2011-10-06

Date and Time

  • WG telecon on Thursday, 6 Oct 2011, at 9-10am PT (time chart)
    • Skype line "C": +9900827042954214
    • US: +1-201-793-9022 (other int'l numbers) | Room Code: 295-4214

Agenda

  • Roll call
  • Approve minutes of 2011-09-29 meeting
  • Action item review
    • How to fill in LC's Trust Framework wiki page with UMA Trust Model description?
  • Planning for IIW, F2F at Kantara plenary meeting on Oct 20, etc.
    • Final call for F2F attendees and agenda items
  • Review core spec revisions and issues
    • Last week, we closed #2 and #18 with instructions, added detail/instructions to #9, #13, and #20, created and closed #27 with instructions, and created new #26
  • AOB

Attendees

As of 22 Aug 2011, quorum is 6 of 10.

  1. Catalano, Domenico
  2. D'Agostino, Salvatore
  3. Fletcher, George
  4. Hardjono, Thomas
  5. Maler, Eve
  6. Szpot, Jacek
  7. Wray, Frank

Non-voting participants:

  • Alam

Regrets:

  • Maciej Machulak
  • Lukasz Moren
  • Susan Morrow

Minutes

Roll call

Quorum was reached.

Approve minutes of 2011-09-29 meeting

Minutes of 2011-09-29 meeting APPROVED.

Action item review

  • 2010-11-18-4 Eve Open Capture new user stories in the wiki.
  • 2011-09-22-4 Various Open Build list of FAQs on the wiki. Lukasz owes a SMART project FAQ. Susan owes a FAQ on how UMA is related to OpenID.
  • 2011-09-29-1 Frank, Sal Open Examine loci of LOA/LOP/LOC implications in the Trust Model doc. Targeted for the F2F meeting timeframe.

Frank, Sal, and Domenico will coordinate their streams of LO* effort. There seems to be a need to go "three-dimensional" to reflect the inherent sensitivity of the resource being protected. This seems a bit similar to some of Scott David's LO* ideas (where x,y,z level values could be categorized at a higher order, like "3,2,2" for some kinds of data, and then ensconced in standard policies).

A roadmap for UMA

Alam and Mario at Fraunhofer AISEC, and Aad van Moorsel at Newcastle, and even others in industry and academia, have expressed interest in pursuing a "what's next for UMA 2.0" effort in an EU-scale funded project. Ad hoc meetings among interested participants will take place as coordinated in email.

Eve would like to see any such effort remain true to the original UMA design principles. One UMA 1.0 principle that could be expanded in 2.0 was that the authorizing user is a human acting on on their own behalf on the 'net. We have fully anticipated that 2.0 might broaden this scope to include authorizing parties that are legal persons. This could have effects on the protocol flow similar to our consideration of requesting parties that aren't human beings.

Alam asks whether discovery of protected resources is being solved in UMA now. We are anticipating that we can leverage the OpenID Connect mechanism for distributed claims (with increasing sophistication over time) to allow AMs to do this.

Planning for IIW, F2F at Kantara plenary meeting on Oct 20, etc.

  • OpenID tech summit on Oct 17: George is planning to attend.
  • IIW itself on at least Oct 18-19: George, Sal, and Eve are planning to attend.
  • UMA F2F: Eve, Lukasz, possibly Sal, and possibly George are planning to attend. We expect other NCL folks too.

Review core spec revisions and issues

  • Last week, we closed #2 and #18 with instructions, added detail/instructions to #9, #13, and #20, created and closed #27 with instructions, and created new #26

George suggests that we flesh out the new Section 3.5.1.1 with a normative pointer off to the OpenID Connect Standard spec, along with non-normative examples of typical messages back and forth.

Let's plan to consider our then-current rev of the core spec by next Thursday as a candidate for submitting as another IETF I-D, prior to IIW.

The IPR statement that is Kantara-specific would need to be removed to be considered by IETF groups as a new work item. We plan to continue revving our I-D until the point where we have confirmed that it is actually being taken up as a work item.

Next Meetings

  • WG telecon on Thursday, 13 Oct 2011, at 9-10am PT (time chart)
  • WG F2F on Thursday, 20 Oct 2011, at 1-5pm PT (time chart) in Redwood City, CA, USA
  • WG telecon on Thursday, 27 Oct 2011, at 1-5pm PT (time chart)
  • NOTE: Daylight saving ends Oct 30 in UK and Nov 6 in US; beware of "summertime skew"
  • No labels