Child pages
  • UMA telecon 2011-09-08
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

UMA telecon 2011-09-01

Date and Time

  • WG telecon on Thursday, 8 Sep 2011, at 9-10am PT (time chart)
    • Skype line "C": +9900827042954214
    • US: +1-201-793-9022 (other int'l numbers) | Room Code: 295-4214

Agenda

  • Roll call
  • Approve minutes of 2011-09-01 meeting
  • Action item review
  • 2012 Kantara budget process: proposals due by Sep 15
  • Planning for upcoming gatherings
  • Core protocol issues in GitHub
    • Status of fork/merge process
    • Report on status of closed issues from last time
    • Review and discuss open issues that relate to OpenID Connect in any way
    • Try to close #4, #6, #7 in short order
    • Discuss and attempt to close #2 (in context of #20)
  • AOB

Attendees

As of 22 Aug 2011, quorum is 6 of 10.

  1. Catalano, Domenico
  2. Hardjono, Thomas
  3. Maler, Eve

Non-voting participants:

  • Kirk Brown
  • Kevin Cox

Regrets:

  • Machulak, Maciej
  • Moren, Lukasz
  • Morrow, Susan
  • Wray, Frank

Minutes

New AI summary

  • Kirk: Develop one or more draft budget proposal paragraphs by Monday Sep 12 so we can bat them around in email before the next LC meeting.
  • Eve: Find Frank's web sequence diagrams and etherpad links on hData/UMA/OpenID Connect for Kirk's and Farhang's benefit.

Roll call

Quorum was not reached.

Approve minutes of 2011-09-01 meeting

Deferred due to lack of quorum.

2012 Kantara budget process: proposals due by Sep 15

The proposals likeliest to be accepted involve concrete deliverables and equity – either "sweat equity" or money coming from another source that can be matched. See the 2011 budget requests for examples.

Some ideas:

  • Interop event among independent implementations (we know of at least two right now)
  • Funding for an additional implementation
  • Development of benchmarks and/or full test suites (hopefully building off the test case we funded last year)
  • Funding for OpenID Connect interoperability testing

Planning for upcoming gatherings

Eric Sachs will substitute for Maciej in the UMA/OpenID Connect synergies slot in next week's OpenID Summit. Kirk and also Farhang Kassaei of eBay will be there "representin'" for UMA.

Core protocol issues in GitHub

  • Status of fork/merge process

We have the basic logistics worked out. We don't yet have a smooth process for merging live versions of the XML source, but we're getting there.

  • Report on status of closed issues from last time

Thomas has a question on how to implement the results of closed issue #3. He's supposed to add an rsid and policy redirect URI to the AM's response when a resource set is registered or changed. What's the purpose of the rsid in that case, since it's a response directly to registering/changing such a thing, so the host should already know it! We will assume the SMART project had a good reason for including rsid in the response, and will open a new issue to ask if it's superfluous.

  • Editorial issue on error messages in the RR API

We agreed that the error discussions in Section 2.4 should be "factored out" to provide method-specific and API-generic errors and to point to Section 4.2 rather than repeating lots of long error examples in Section 2.4. Thomas will follow up on this without having a formal issue open on it.

  • Review and discuss open issues that relate to OpenID Connect in any way

Kirk will keep an eye out next week for new issues that we should open along these lines. Right now, we think issues #2 and #20 are at least somewhat related. We'll look for incompatibilities, terminology confusion, and overlaps particularly.

Regarding issue #2, we believe that the way OpenID Connect is shaping up, we may very well be able to use it as a mandatory-to-implement (or even perhaps the only?) claims language embedded in the UMA claims-requested messaging protocol that covers both a basic set of self-asserted and third-party-asserted (trusted) claims, and also an extension mechanism for arbitrary other (e.g. industry-specific) claims.

Regarding issue #20, this is yet a different way there may be UMA/OpenID Connect synergy. OpenID Connect is trying to solve for some discovery use cases. UMA (e.g., the hData use case) would need a "protected" discovery service, not an open one, but otherwise we think it has very similar needs. How can aspects of the two be combined or reused for best efficiency and modularity? Keep in mind that UMA solves for third-party requesters and absent authorizing users for arbitrary protected resources, while OpenID Connect solves for present authorizing users trying to start a session and protected claims specifically.

  • Try to close #4, #6, #7 in short order

Issue #6 is a variant of issue #5. We think this can be closed with no action because you have to deliberately supply the ETag of the resource set you want to update. This is already in the spec. Under what circumstances would the host have an entirely wrong ETag and it doesn't match? Maybe the ETag in its database got corrupted and this is where asking the AM to list all the resource sets it knows about can be helpful. Let's consider #6 closed.

Issues #4 and #7 deferred.

  • Discuss and attempt to close #2 (in context of #20)

See above; discussed but far from being closed.

Next Meetings

  • WG telecon on Thursday, 15 Sep 2011, at 9-10am PT (time chart)
  • WG telecon on Thursday, 22 Sep 2011, at 9-10am PT (time chart)
  • WG telecon on Thursday, 29 Sep 2011, at 9-10am PT (time chart)
  • No labels