Charter 2019 Final draft
(1) WG NAME (and any acronym or abbreviation of the name): The WG name, acronym and abbreviation must not include trademarks not owned by the Organization, or content that is infringing, harmful, or inappropriate.
Information Sharing Work Group (ISWG)
(2) PURPOSE: Please provide a clear statement of purpose and justification why the proposed WG is necessary.
The individual is the optimal point of origination and integration of data that is about them. The role of this WG is to shepherd open specifications for new technologies by which personal information can flow and be processed under the control of the individual, improving the relationship between demand and supply with personal data control. This will include solutions built specifically for individuals, and also those that fostering mutually beneficial information sharing between individuals and organizations.
Note that this WG relies on the CMS WG [with revised charter] to provide the necessary legal and business requirements to develop technical standards.
(3) SCOPE: Explain the scope and definition of the planned work.
Become and/or initiate an active public discussion forum for the collection, development, and analysis of use cases, scenarios, and specifications, improving information sharing as seen from the individual’s perspective.
Foster awareness of and participation in open information sharing infrastructure(s) from the broadest stakeholder cross-section possible, both the near-term use case phase which has taken place in this working group, the mid-term specification and practical framework build phase (where we are now), and the long-term adoption of the specifications by SSO (Standards Setting Organizations).
Create recommendations, technical specifications and reference implementations covering information sharing usability, security, privacy, interoperability et al that enable persons to exert control over information sharing.
Develop guidance and supporting materials in order to advocate the adoption of specific standard practices, policies, and terms to increase the quality of information sharing practices. Become an umbrella location for new and relevant information sharing technology initiatives should they wish to join our community.
Create and maintain a registry of known implementations that plan to or have adopted the WG recommendations and technical specifications.
Promote and advocate for the implementations of work group participants.
Engage and draw upon work in other organizations to coordinate efforts.
(4) DRAFT TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS: List Working Titles of draft Technical Specifications to be produced (if any), projected completion dates, and the Standards Setting Organization(s) to which they will be submitted upon approval by the Membership.
Consent Receipt Specification – Building on existing version, accommodating existing and new requirements; timing and resources to be discussed
Kantara Data Receipt Framework Specification – each of the Receipt specs are profiles of the Framework Specification
Create Personal Data Receipt Profile Specification - timing and resources to be discussed Specification covering Data Usage Statement – for the user to reconcile their receipts against the institution’s transactional records.
Information Sharing Control Panel/ Agent Reference Implementation
Sample Legal Information Sharing Agreement Contracts that illustrate how the reference model can be used to allow the individual to share data whilst retaining control.
It is the intention of the Information Sharing WG to ultimately submit the specifications listed above to an appropriate Standards Settings Organization for full life-cycle maintenance. The receiving organizations will be determined on a per-specification basis.
(5) OTHER DRAFT RECOMMENDATIONS: Other Draft Recommendations and projected completion dates for submission for All Member Ballot.
The ISWG is open for supporting and collaborating with organizations that have specification work or standards in this space.
(6) LEADERSHIP: Proposed WG Chair and Editor(s) (if any) subject to confirmation by a vote of the WG Participants.
(7) AUDIENCE: Anticipated audience or users of the work.
Developers, entrepreneurs, privacy and data protection advocates, policy makers, developers, and deployers, both internal and external, to large organizations who manage services for individual customers.
(8) DURATION: Objective criteria for determining when the work of the WG has been completed (or a statement that the WG is intended to be a standing WG to address work that is expected to be ongoing).
The Kantara Leadership Council charters the Information Sharing Work Group for five years. It may be amended from time to time, with changes approved by the Leadership Council. This charter will expire in August 2021.
(9) IPR POLICY: The Organization approved Intellectual Property Rights Policy under which the WG will operate.
Kantara IPR Policy - Option Patent and Copyright Reciprocal Royalty Free with Opt-Out to (RAND) <can we replace with new IPR policy?>
(10) RELATED WORK AND LIAISONS: Related work being done in other WGs or other organizations and any proposed liaison with those other WGs or organizations. Conference Content Committees - to secure speaking spots at conferences.
ISO Liaison - to synchronize timelines for specification development and to propose new international standards.
UMA - to collaborate on specifications and identification of requirements. Project VRM - solicit requirements and feedback.
Customer Commons - solicit requirements and feedback.
MyData Global -solicit requirements and feedback.
Me2B Alliance- exchange status updates and collaborate as appropriate.
(11) CONTRIBUTIONS (optional): A list of contributions that the proposers anticipate will be made to the WG.
(12) PROPOSERS: Names, email addresses, and any constituent affiliations of at least the minimum set of proposers required to support forming the WG.
Andrew Hughes Jim Pasquale James Aschberger Lisa LeVasseur History
July 23, 2013
First complete draft for consideration by work group
July 1, 2013
Initial partial draft
Feb 2, 2016Update of new charter approved - need iterative update on SDO - As Kantara may be new SDO for the WG
July 2019 Update