Information Sharing GROUP Teleconference
Date and Time
- Date: Tuesday, 31 May 2011
- Time: 9am HST | noon PST | 3pm EST | 8pm UK
- Please join my meeting via GoToMeeting
- Join the conference call:
- Skype: +9900827042954214
- US Dial-In: +1-201-793-9022
- UK Dial-In: +44 (0) 8454018081
- Room Code: 2954214
- GoToMeeting ID: 844-771-298
- Joe Andrieu
- Judi Clark
- Mary Hodder
- Mark Lizar
- Iain Henderson
- Approval of Prior Minutes & Other Motions
- Prior Action Item Review
- New Business
- Quarterly Reports
- Standard Information Sharing Agreement
- Action Item Review
We noted that 5 people on the call were voting members and that the group met quorum on this call.
- Motion to approve minutes from May 1 and May 24 unanimously approved.
3. Prior Action Item Review
- Joe - follow up with Doc re: CRM + VRM conference - to do
- Joe & Judi - follow microformats technique and document what's in the wild: how people are sharing info now - in progress
- Judi - transfer notes and spreadsheet from 1 May 2011 F2F meeting onto wiki for future reference (done)
- Iain - Colin Wallis conversation - general Kantara leadership stuff. No follow-up required.
- Iain - drill down into marketplace of CRM to make sure our agreement covers this
4. New Business
Mary attended Identity in Browser conf at Mozilla, mostly plumbing but Mary spoke on anonymity & other models, personal data ecosystem, vrm.
Mary also attended Quantified Self conf, reported most were focused on very narrow interest, also health care reps that had difference focus. No focus on microformats. Mary spoke on personal data ecosystem (all questioned if this was "privacy" session), VRM, how to normalize data sets, how to let user have control. Was very cool! (See Mary's report)
Mark mentioned G8 meeting and France's approach (3 strikes) to copyright, cookie rule (explicit consent required). In UK, related proposed legislation will be challenging to implement.
Joe cited Danah Boyd's article (PDF) about how teens perceive and manage privacy. Worth reading. Mary noted teens don't have jobs but do have parents (dictatorship). Authors may be presenting this paper at Berkeley shortly.
5. Quarterly Reports
On Joe's to do list for Kantara, report for Q1.
6. Information Sharing Agreements
from Iain: how CRM views this (Marketing and onward Sharing data) - both of interest to individuals
Three top level types of marketing (for purpose binding)
1) Above the Line marketing (i.e. no personal data required to drive the marketing, or specifically gathered by it) - placeholder, not much we can/should do, e.g., blimps flying overhead - anonymous, no contextualization; advertiser is using space and time only. No clear/accurate estimate of audience.
- TV advertising
- posters etc.
2) (Direct) Marketing to you in the context of a relationship - e.g., communicating with "customers," can be in various channels (mail, web, etc.)
3) (Direct) Marketing to you without the context of a relationship (i.e. there is no relationship current or past, or the details are not being factored into the communication), i.e. Prospecting - soliciting an interaction or transaction
(Direct marketing is something that touches an individual's PII. For merchants who pay for an ad, they may not know the recipient's PII.
Given the above, I then sub-divide both 2 and 3 as per below
a) (Marketing of) Existing products/ services from your portfolio I have specifically asked you to tell me about
b) (Marketing of) Existing products/ services from your portfolio I have not specifically asked you to tell me about - recommendations vs. bordering on spam
c) (Marketing of) New products/ services from your portfolio I have specifically asked you to tell me about
d) (Marketing of) New products/ services from your portfolio I have not specifically asked you to tell me about
e) (Marketing of) Existing products/ services from a partners portfolio I have specifically asked you to tell me about - data sharing
f) (Marketing of) Existing products/ services from a partners portfolio I have not specifically asked you to tell me about
g) (Marketing of) New products/ services from a partners portfolio I have specifically asked you to tell me about
h) (Marketing of) New products/ services from a partners portfolio I have not specifically asked you to tell me about
i) Marketing seeking to trigger events or activities, for example:
- Renew a contract
- Refer a friend
- brand advertising customized or personalized to someone
- Market news
- organisation news
- non-selling product/ service information
Joe reviewed Google Docs mapping work, discussion about how to overlay Iain's list (above) with mapping.
7. Action Items Review
- Joe - quarterly report for Q1
- Joe: Follow up with Doc re: VRM + CRM
- Judi - update quorum (7 not 6) on participant roster, add Doc to in-person + no motions - done
Next Regular Meeting
TUESDAY 7 June 2011 - 90 minutes
9am Hawaii, noon Pacific Daylight, 3pm EDT, 8pm UK Daylight
US Dial-In: +1-201-793-9022
UK Dial-In: +44 (0) 8454018081
Room Code: 2954214
NOTE: Do not follow the code with a "#" symbol as it may cause the code not to be recognized.