UST Project Scope
The User Submitted Terms project will create a common set of icons that customers can use to signal their intent. This project is meant to build a Minimum Viable set of term icons, their definitions and example engineering code for submitting terms and answering them. The purpose of USTs are to allow individuals to request their preferred treatment of their data, before submission. This is meant is to change the dynamic between entities that most often ask their users to accept terms from the entity with no negotiation. USTs would bring a negotiation aspect to the consent process, before a Consent Receipt is created. UST development will include participants from all relevant domains including UX and usability, engineering, legal, product, marketing and standardization, as well as other parties wishing to join and assist the group. UST development should result in a standard adopted by the Kantara Initiate and eventually through a formal standard's body.
The project group may take funding from private entities to pay for design and engineering specification and code work, as the group decides. The UST group is made up as a partnership between the Consent and Information Sharing Working Group, and Customer Commons.
User terms project release and licensing: the UST working group will make icons and term definitions (human readable, machine and legal) as a common open standard that anyone can use. Output for this workgroup will be available under a Creative Commons License (in process with Kantara Leadership). Code and specifications will be released under the Rand IPR. Customer Commons plans to host the specifications and icons when the project is completed.
- Icons will be developed for each term. Design work will be done to develop each icon so that it can be universal, common and understood form.
- Human Readable Definition: language to understand what each term means in regular human readable language.
- Legal Readable Definition: language to legally define each term choice.
- Machine Readable Definition: syntax to express each term.
- Simple sample code for a individual to express their terms via browser, with possible mobile / cyanagenmod example.
- Simple sample code for a receiver of term request to understand and respond.
- Github repository is here: https://github.com/KI-CISWG/UST
- Specification is here: TBD