Child pages
  • ULX Teleconference 2011-03-07
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Logistics

  • Time: 08:00 PT | 11:00 ET | 15:00 UTC/GMT | 18:00 CEST (Time Chart)
  • Skype: +9900827042954214
  • US Dial-In: +1-201-793-9022
  • Room Code: 295-4214

Agenda

1) Roll Call

Voting:

  1. Paul Trevithick
  2. Scott Cantor
  3. Axel Nennker
  4. RL "Bob" Morgan
  5. Benoit Bailleux
  6. Keith Uber
  7. John Bradley
  8. Philippe Clement

Non-voting:

  1. Valeska O'Leary

Not present

  1. Gael Gourmelen
  2. Trent Adams
  3. Bob Pinhero

Quorate meeting (8 of 8)

2) Minutes
3) Progress towards v5 of the mockup
  • We have tasked the developer with creating the new version.
  • Valeska: Kevin said that he'd have the mockup updated within a week. He will only implement one selected IdP from the search list.
4) Document the UI
  • Paul: the next step is to create wiki pages documenting the UX decisions. It would show screen shots and annotations and would describe the underlying logic.
  • Paul: Action Item: Valeska and I will try to get this done by early April
  • Bob: I thought that it would be appropriate to have several different ones showing different starting points for RPs.
  • Paul: I thought that the wiki should contain image examples of these starting points, but we wouldn't be actually implementing all of these starting points in HTML code.
  • Bob: Actually I thought we'd have live code for each starting point.
  • Paul: Perhaps we can get there in an additional phase
5) JSON metadata for RP and IdP
  • Bob: Scott has suggested that a next step would be a JSON representation for both IdP metadata and RP requirements
  • Scott: the intent was that the JavaScript mockup would actually consume these JSON documents
  • Bob: There was some discussion of this notion of this idea at the IdCollab day. In particular the Mozilla folks is that their approach to handling this sort of thing is API based. They'd have a standard API for getting this kind of IdP/Provider data. 
  • Scott: I think APIs are inferior to standardizing data. An API would lock you into Mozilla.
  • Scott: In looking at what we've built for our project and some other projects it does start to raise questions about scalability and whether or not this kind of searching/filtering on the client is going to work.
  • Bob: Do you mean at some point it becomes like searching the Internet for a domain name?
  • Scott: yes.
  • Scott: It seems to me that a giant feed of IdPs isn't going to work. So is this "data standardization" path really going to be productive.
  • Scott: When we talked about this at the developer meeting, they weren't worried about the client running out of gas. But I'm thinking more about the long term.
  • Bob: I came away thinking there was some room for engagement with the Mozilla folks. 
  • Scott: There are a couple of implementations in the wild that are using their own feed formats.
  • Bob: One likely venue for discussion is the W3C Identity in the Browser workshop. 
  • Scott: The ULX prototype requires some kind of representation of this information. We have to do something to really complete the technical work around the prototype. So the question is one of scope. How far do we want to go. If we are going to involve other groups, how do we coordinate that.
  • Scott: We should move the time of the call
  • Bob: Action Item: Will email Andreas and see what his availability
  • Scott: In terms of who was doing work in this area are my project, Axel's JSON and Andreas Solberg
6) Mobile UX
  • Benoit: does it make sense to do a mobile version of the ULX UI? They have a very different set of characteristics.
  • Scott: I would be very interested in understanding the best way to (a) detect the device and (b) adjust the UI for the form factor.
  • Paul: I feel that documenting what we've already done will keep us busy for the next month
  • Keith: Maybe it makes sense to add this mobile stuff as a follow-on phase
7) Language Selection
  • Keith: SAML discovery is in 27 languages. Do we want to allow the user to change their language during discovery
  • John: There is a discussion in the Kantara eGov WG where Canada has expressed similar issues. 
  • Keith: If we look in the ULX language selection is a responsibility of the SP/RP and is not the job of the selector
  • John: I think that from the POV of this WG the notion is that by the time the selector has been invoked a language selection has already been done. 
  • John: The SP/RP decides the language where the selector is presented by the SP/RP. But if the selector is being presented on my behalf by a cloud selector then it may override the language decision of the RP.
  • Keith: Action Item: I'll look into this and do a quick post on this.
  • No labels