Child pages
  • Leadership Council Teleconference - 2010-01-20
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Minutes approved on February 17, 2010

Kantara Leadership Council Teleconference

Date and Time

  • Date: Wednesday, January 20, 2010
  • Time: 3pm PST | 6pm EST | 23:00 UTC (Time Chart)
  • Teleconference Options:
    • Skype: +9900827043671716
    • US Dial-In: +1-201-793-9022 | Room Code: 3671716

NOTES:

Attendees

  • Voting:
    1. eGov: Colin Wallis
    2. ID Assurance: Frank Villavincencio
    3. ID-WSF Evolution: Paul Madsen
    4. Consumer ID: Bob Pinheiro
    5. User-Managed Access: Eve Maler
    6. Japan WG: Kenji Takahashi
    7. Information Sharing: Joe Andrieu
    8. Liberty Spec Maintenance: Prateek Mishra
    9. ULX: Paul Trevithick
    10. Telecommunications Identity: Jonas Hogberg
    11. Healthcare ID Assurance: Pete Palmer
    12. BoT Representative: Matthew Gardiner
  • Non-Voting:
    1. Identity Community Update: J. Trent Adams
    2. Map the Gap: J. Trent Adams
    3. Concordia: Paul Madsen
    4. Japan DG: Kenji Takahashi
    5. Staff: Joni Brennan
    6. Staff: Dervla O'Reilly

Apologies

  • TBD

Agenda

  1. Roll Call for Quorum Determination
  2. Approval of prior meeting minutes
    1. Review: Leadership Council Teleconference - 2010-01-06
  3. Discuss: HIA WG request to postpone leadership elections
  4. Update: Nomenclature change for "voting" and "non-voting" participants (Joni)
  5. Action Item Update: 2010-01-06-3 - Brett and Joni to work with Eve to understand the implications of a group submitting work to the IETF as an Internet Draft. (Brett, Joni, Eve)
  6. Update: BoT Liaisons (Colin, Frank, Mathew, Ken)
  7. Update: Cross-Group Participation Committee (Brett, Colin, Joe)
  8. Update: External Group Liaison Process (Brett, Colin, Joe)
  9. Reminder: 2009-Q4 WG/DG Reports Due
  10. AOB
  11. WG/DG Update: UMA WG (Eve)

Minutes

  1. Roll Call for Quorum Determination
    1. Quorum Met (12 of 15 voting members attending)
  2. Approval of prior meeting minutes
    1. MOTION by Eve to accept minutes as recorded for Leadership Council Teleconference - 2010-01-06
    2. Approved
  3. Update: Nomenclature change for "voting" and "non-voting" participants (Joni)
    1. Following BoT and LC leadership discussions, the participation terms "active" and "observer" have been changed to "voting" and "non-voting" (respectively)
    2. The changes have been made to the sign-up forms
    3. A FAQ entry has been added to explain the terms
    4. Pages throughout the Kantara site are being updated accordingly
  4. Action Item Update: 2010-01-06-3 - Brett and Joni to work with Eve to understand the implications of a group submitting work to the IETF as an Internet Draft. (Eve)
    1. There have been several discussions with IETF participants such as Lucy Lynch and Jeff Hodges to clarify the IEFT "Note Well" IPR process.
    2. Brett is taking the following questions to the BoT for their input:
      1. Once the work of a WG is complete, how should it be submitted to the IETF?
      2. How can a WG submit content, prior to completion, to the IETF as an Internet Draft (I-D)?
    3. For now, the consensus is that individual WG members can paraphrase use case scenarios and send to the appropriate IETF WG list (e.g. OAuth)
  5. Update: BoT Liaisons (Colin, Mathew)
    1. Mathew announced he will no longer be the Liaison from the BoT, effective the end of January. The BoT is still looking for his replacement
    2. The IRB is close to filling all of it's seats.
      1. Jamie Clark from OASIS was recently seated as a standards body representative.
    3. Brett presented the Executive Director's 2010 focus
    4. Marketing was discussed now that KI does not have a dedicated person filing press releases.
      1. Members heard from a journalist that Kantara isn't out there "messaging" like Liberty was in the past.
      2. Podcasting was mentioned as an important mechanism to explore.
      3. Discussed how to empower each WG/DG to market/evangelize their efforts.
      4. ACTION ITEM: Trent to put a discussion about marketing/evangelism on the LC agenda
      5. POST CALL CLARIFICATION: (sent to the LC Discussion List on January 22, 2010)#### Brett McDowell (who was not in attendence of this LC teleconference) notes that some of the BoT update should be clarified for the permanent record.
        1. Brett: "Topic 5 (d) from the minutes seems to be in error.  Kantara does have "marketing" and it does have someone leading press release development.  In fact we kicked off a press release today that will go out shortly to promote the event on March 1st.  Kantara has a modest marketing budget compared to some of our co-founders, but we do have one!"
        2. Brett: "I was in the BoT call that this report is based on so I understand how the positioning may have gotten fuzzy.  The point was "we don't do marketing like we used to" so "let's be creative".  But it wasn't going so far as to say we simply don't have anyone to do press releases anymore... that was a bridge too far and is simply not accurate.  But the sentiment that we need to be creative is very true and I would like to emphasize that myself."
  6. Discuss: HIA WG request to postpone leadership elections
    1. Pete Palmer explained that since this request was made via email to the LC (via Staff), further discussions have taken place and the HIA WG anticipates being able to hold elections without slowing down the work.
    2. As Co-Chair of the HIA WG, Pete withdrew the request to postpone elections.
  7. Update: Cross-Group Participation Committee (Colin)
    1. An update was sent to the LC discussion list: Cross-Group Participation
    2. The committee feels it is a good, practical start without adding an official policy at this time.
    3. As this process is deployed, a policy may be needed, but this approach will help guide the process.
  8. Update: External Group Liaison Process (Joe)
    1. The committee has identified two types of external liaison relationships: informal & formal.
    2. Informal liaison relationships (which do not require signing agreements) are brought by a WG/DG to the LC who coordinate liaison relationships, and can delegate their handling back to the WG/DG as appropriate.
    3. Formal liaison relationships (ones that do require signing agreements) are also brought by a WG/DG to the LC, who then recommend them to the BoT to execute the agreements.
    4. In both cases, the LC helps to track the relationships.
  9. Reminder: 2009-Q4 WG/DG Reports Due
    1. Questions raised about some of the report template wording with respect to "Meetings" and whether they are distinct from "Teleconferences".
    2. ACTION ITEM: Trent to send to the LC discussion list a clarification regarding the wording on the current template.
    3. ACTION ITEM: Trent to solicit input into the template before the next reporting cycle to ensure it captures the appropriate details.
  10. ADDED: Questions about March meeting in Oregon
    1. Dervla asks for people to register now if they will attend in order to plan accordingly.
    2. Groups currently intending to hold official meetings:
      1. UMA
      2. eGoV
      3. ID-WSF Evo
      4. P3WG
      5. Concordia
      6. Telecom ID
      7. IDP Selection
    3. Teleconference support will be available in meeting rooms.
    4. ACTION ITEM: Dervla to coordinate with meetings to ensure enough teleconference lines are available.
  11. Meeting adjourned at 4:59pm MST
  12. Unofficial WG Update: Eve Maler reported on the UMA WG (recording available soon)

Next Meeting

  • Date: Wednesday, February 3, 2010
  • Time: 9am PST | 12pm EST | 17:00 UTC (Time Chart)
  • Teleconference Options:
    • Skype: +9900827043671716
    • US Dial-In: +1-201-793-9022 | Room Code: 3671716

NOTES:

  • No labels