Child pages
  • Leadership Council Teleconference - 2009-12-02
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Minutes approved on December 9, 2009

Kantara Leadership Council Teleconference

Date and Time

  • Date: Wednesday, December 2, 2009
  • Time: 3pm PST | 6pm EST | 23:00 UTC (Time Chart)
  • Teleconference Options:
    • Skype: +9900827043671716
    • US Dial-In: +1-201-793-9022 | Room Code: 3671716

NOTES:

Attendees

  • Voting:
    1. Japan WG: Kenji Takahashi
    2. ID-WSF Evolution: Paul Madsen
    3. Clients: Conor Cahill
    4. Information Sharing: Joe Andrieu
    5. eGov: Colin Wallis
    6. Consumer ID: Bob Pinheiro
    7. BoT Representative: Matthew Gardiner
    8. ID Assurance: Frank Villavincencio
    9. Telecommunications Identity: Jonas Hogberg
    10. Healthcare ID Assurance: John Fraser
  • Non-Voting:
    1. Identity Community Update: J. Trent Adams
    2. Map the Gap: J. Trent Adams
    3. Staff: Joni Brennon
    4. Concordia: Paul Madsen
    5. Japan DG: Kenji Takahashi
    6. Staff: Dervla O'Reily
    7. Staff: Britta Glade
    8. Staff: Brett McDowell

Apologies

  • Identity & Access Services: Gavin Illingworth

Agenda

  1. Roll Call for Quorum Determination
  2. Approval of prior meeting minutes
    1. Review: Leadership Council Teleconference - 2009-11-11
  3. Update: Formation of the Telecommunications Identity Work Group (Telco ID WG)
  4. Update: Formation of the Identity and Access Services Working Group (IAS-WG)
  5. Call for Cross-Group Participation Committee
  6. Announce: Submission of Presentations for Catalyst Conference Europe 2010
    1. Location: Prague, April 19-22, 2010
    2. Review:
      1. Conference Site
      2. Submitting a Speaking Proposal
    3. Submission Deadline: Monday, 21 December 2009
    4. NOTE: Submissions to be handled directly by WG (with limited KI Staff support by request)
    5. Potential Interoperability Hospitality Suite - UMA, Concordia?
  7. Discuss: External Group Liaison Process (Brett, Joni)
  8. Discuss: Need for Email Discussion List Policy?
  9. Discuss: Renaming of IPR Options (Colin)
  10. Update: Next KI Conference
    1. Overview
    2. Proposed Agenda
    3. Deadlines for info to Dervla:
      1. December 4th: Rough agenda topics/objectives
      2. February 1: Full agenda
  11. Group Participation Challenges - Follow-on from IIW discussions (Colin)
  12. IAWG Report and planned Draft Recommendation (Frank)
  13. AOB

Minutes

  1. Roll Call for Quorum Determination
    1.  10 voting members present, Quorum reached
  2. Conor announced that he will be stepping down as Leadership Council Liaison to the Board of Trustees effective January 1, 2010.
    1. Action Item: Trent to send a note to the LC list soliciting nominations to fill the position.
    2. Frank indicated his interest to stand for the position.
  3. Approval of prior meeting minutes
    1. Review: Leadership Council Teleconference - 2009-11-11
    2. Motion: To accept minutes as recorded for Leadership Council Teleconference - 2009-11-11
      1. Moved, seconded, and carried with unanimous consent.
  4. Update: Formation of the Telecommunications Identity Work Group (Telco ID WG)
    1. Motion sent to the list: To approve the formation of the Telecommunications Identity Work Group (Telco ID WG) as defined by their charter .
    2. Sent to LC discussion list for electronic ballot.  Motion carred on November 25, 2009.
    3. Congratulations were offered on the formation of the Telco ID WG.
  5. Update: Formation of the Identity and Access Services Working Group (IAS-WG)
    1. Motion sent to the list: To approve the formation of the Identity and Access Services Working Group (IAS-WG) as defined by their charter .
    2. Sent to LC discussion list for electronic ballot.  Motion carred on December 2, 2009.
    3. Congratulations were offered on the formation of the IAS-WG.
  6. Call for Cross-Group Participation Committee
    1. Discussed need for clear procedures in how one WG or DG can engage with another.
    2. Many groups have expressed interest in seeing a solution, including the BoT.
    3. Colin agreed to inititiate, Brett indicated that he would input existing FAQs already published plus some additional thoughts.
  7. Formation of Event Discussion Lists (was: Submission of Presentations for Catalyst Conference Europe 2010)
    1. Staff has set up separate email discussion lists, one for each upcoming conference with planned Kantara activities:
      1. Catalyst Europe
      2. IDTrust
      3. HMS Healthcare
      4. RSA Security
    2. Discussion ensued as to whether it made sense to create a single, ongoing events committee rather than manage separate lists per event.
    3. General consensus in the room was separate lists would work as they would be more narrow focused on specifics relevant to the event, but that there might be value in considering a single list to help decide which events we should participate in.
    4. Anyone interested in one or more of those events should contact Staff, asking to be added to the appropriate list.
  8. Discuss: External Group Liaison Process (Brett, Joni)
    1. Discussion about what it would mean for there to be a liaison between KI and other groups.
    2. General consensus was that individuals would act as conduits of information, and advocates for specific KI positions, within specific external groups.
    3. Joe, Colin, and Brett agreed to sit on a Special Committee to draft a reasonable external group liaison process and report it to the LC.
    4. It was noted that this work might dove-tail with the Cross-Group Participation Committee
    5. Action Item: Brett to compile a list of external groups to use as a starting point for the liaison process (from Charters?).
  9. Discuss: Need for Email Discussion List Policy
    1. Discussion spurred on by recent issues relating to problems at the OpenID list where a participant was banned, raising questions about their acceptable use policies and more importantly the process for banning.
    2. It was noted that we have a discussion list policy now.  Perhaps it could be modified to suit this purpose.
    3. It was suggested that the LC focus on reiterating our principles of inclusiveness while also clarifying the steps for redress of grievances.
    4. Action Item: Joe to send to the LC list a set of bullet points relating to his experience with similar email discussion list policies as a basis for KI.
  10. Discuss: Renaming of IPR Options (Colin)
    1. Colin reported on concerns raised by the BoT regarding the creation of "summary recommendations" for the use of IPR policies.
    2. Bill Smith, BoT VP and a subject matter expert in this area, has offered to join the LC to discuss this issue and possible options.
    3. Liberty Alliance had published a lawyer-approved summary of the "Liberty Option": http://www.projectliberty.org/liberty/about/ipr/
    4. Staff is available to help with understanding of the IPR policy selection when forming new groups.
    5. Some concern was raised with the Liberty IPR policy, which seems to be written just for the creation of “technical specifications", and is not clearly written for the non-lawyer to understand.
    6. Brett re-circulated to the list the potential naming conventions previously discussed:
      1. Source Code CLA: Apache 2.0
      2. Copyright: CC Share Alike with Attribution
      3. Patent & Copyright: Reciprocal Royalty Free with Opt-Out to RAND
    7. It was noted that the Sun Non Assertion Covenant (NAC) and/or the OWFA from the Open Web Foundation is a potential fourth/fifth IPR option to be added.
    8. It was noted that this change need only be approved by the BoT, and does not require an all-member ballot, but that the BoT is looking for LC agreement to the propopsed changes.
    9. Action Item: Colin will formulate and circulate the wording of a motion to be tabled and voted on at or before the next LC teleconference, to address the proposed name changes to the IPR options.
  11. Update: Next KI Conference
    1. Dervla requests all chairs review the proposed agenda and let her know requests, agenda items, etc.
    2. Dervla will be circulating a first round of info to our participants next week with this info. Content due to Dervla by Friday, Dec. 4.
    3. Colin did a poll of chairs, asking who planned to be there and has yet to provide info to Dervla. Jonas indicated that his WG will be attending and wants time, and will as such provide info to Dervla. Information Sharing WG is a maybe. 
    4. Brett shared that we want the agenda as complete as possible, perhaps just communicating goals of the meeting, to help people to get travel budget approvals.
  12. Discuss: RFI from OpenID Foundation
    1. Discussion if the LC should engage in the RFI from OIF.
    2. Question posed: Have we envisioned doing conformance for work outside of KI?
      1. InfoSharing WG would consider something like this would be of value to the marketplace.
    3. Discussion about the OIF RFI and how it is scoped.
      1. Sense of the room is that the goal is to outsource operational elements of their program.
    4. Question posed: Do we want to be in the business of running conformance programs for other communities?
      1. There was active interest in this topic but no firm indication for or against. 
  13. Update: IAWG Report and planned Draft Recommendation (Frank)
    1. Frank Notified the LC that the IAWG voted out a report on 11/25/09.
      1. The Report was submitted to Trent as Acting Secretary of the LC for his review to confirm the appropriate process was followed.
    2. The IAWG also approved a Draft Recommendation.
      1. This will go through an LC vote, an IPR Review in the WG, and an All Member ballot.
      2. Britta and Brett are working on the process to move to the next step.
    3. It was noted that this is a major potential Recommendation that KI is working on.
  14. Meeting was adjourned at 4:37 PT.

Next Meeting

  • Date: Wednesday, December 9, 2009
  • Time: 9am PST | 12pm EST | 17:00 UTC (Time Chart)
  • Teleconference Options:
    • Skype: +9900827043671716
    • US Dial-In: +1-201-793-9022 | Room Code: 3671716

NOTES:

  • No labels