LC telecon 2011-10-20
Date and Time
- Date: Thursday, 20 October 2011
- Time: 10:15 PT | 13:15 ET | 17:15 UTC (time chart)
- Skype +9900827043671716
- US Dial-In +1-201-793-9022 | Room Code: 367-1716
- International Dial-In Numbers
Joint Meeting with Board of Trustees at Kantara Face-to-Face Redwood City
- Roll Call
- Budget / Funding Status
- Membership Value
Quorum is 6 of 11 as of 13 July 2011.
- Attribute Management DG: represented by Sal D'Agostino
- eGov WG & Board of Trustees: represented by Colin Wallis
- Federation Interoperability WG: represented by John Bradley (joined in PM)
- Telecommunications Identity WG: represented by Jonas Hogberg
- Trust Framework Meta Model WG: represented by Rainer Hoerbe
- UMA WG: represented by Eve Maler
- Board of Trustees: Lucy Lynch, Internet Society
- Board of Trustees: Michelle Waugh, CA
- Board of Trustees: Nat Sakimura, NRI (joined in PM)
- Board of Trustees: Kenneth Dagg, Government of Canada
- Patrick Curry, BBFA
- Paul Bryan, ForgeRock
- Sampo Kellomaki, Synergetics
Not in attendance
- Consumer ID WG
- Healthcare ID Assurance WG
- Information Sharing WG
- Privacy & Public Policy WG
- Board of Trustees: Alex Popowycz, Fidelity Investments
- Board of Trustees: Jens Fromm, Fraunhofer FOKUS
- Joni Brennan
- Anna Ticktin
- Dervla O'Reilly
- Dervla O'Reilly
Board of Trustees and Leadership Council - 10:30am-12:00pm
Lucy shared the monthly financial reports for July (September not available yet - reports from IEEE-ISTO should be 4 weeks out, currently running 6-7 weeks out). Conservative in provisioning. We had a cash reserve, membership losses were included in the cash reserve. If membership stayed stable plus revenue in the certification program, there could have been more funds.
$300,000 most likely in assets (possibly $315,000) by year-end. Te organization is in the red. Burn loss, gives us a full operation year to run. We have this one year in which to turn a corner. If we don't get into the positive and go above the watermark, we may have two years to run.
In 2011, 11 members did not renew equalling $103,000 lost revenue. We gained 6 new members equally $18,000 in revenue.
We hope to see pops in EU based on some funding via European organizations may not happen until later next year. Work groups are doing good work and attract good public relations, but are not necessarily revenue generators.
The estimated Certification program revenue is projected to be $71,000 (2 large, 1 small = 3 CSPs). We will not see this income in the first half of 2012. We have a small credited assessor already in place. A large assessor is currently going through the process.
We need $50,000 in new memberships (not renewals) just to be stable. If we want to add back project budgets we need more than $50,000 in new revenue.
A Board Sub-committee focussing on membership opportunities will be formed.
Board of Trustees and Leadership Council - 1-3pm
BUDGET - LC SUPPLEMENTAL BUDGET
The combined budget request total $88,000: http://kantarainitiative.org/confluence/display/LC/2012+Budget+Allocation+Requests
If we use the these funds, we would only have six months left. These requests have been turned down in order for the organization to function. Groups (DG & WGs) will need to request sponsorship for their budget requests. The organization feels this is fair justification to use dollars for possible membership and marketing promotions.
Motion: Move that the BoT recommends a discretionary budget for projects to be reviewed quarterly.
Passed by unanimous consent.
MEMBERSHIP & MEMBERSHIP VALUE:
Should the organization try to continue with the same focus in trying to recruit or do we partner with others for Certification, building vibrant eco system and market players.
Target specific groups, entities. Value proposition for identity proofing, Certification, etc.
Is there a way to change the membership category to attract and fairly represent members?
New Membership Sub Committee: Joni Brennan, Lucy Lynch, Patrick Curry, Colin Wallis, Michelle Waugh.
New Mission / Vision: Maturation from Harmonization to Certification and Federation
Create a new "Subscriber" level membership, a new layer of membership, pricing TBD.
Shaping the future of Identity
Kantara enables the implementation of scaleable and trustworthy identity federations
- Certifying for high levels of assurance
- Can't do public Cloud without Federation
- Something internationally snazzy
Who: targeting specific level of audience / narrow
- End-user industry sectors
- Federal State and local Government Agency Services (e.g. IRS/VA/Health Services)
- Identity providers / Service providers
- DRM Provider (Cable, video, TV Anywhere, etc.)
Structure Discussion: - category of membership that targets Deployment audience and concretely solidifies organizational direction.
"Policy management"level between Member and Trustee
- Pay for membership to review and contribute to profile development of the IAWG which would be overseen by the Review Boards (*RBs)
- Access to Inter-Federation Policy Agreements (Model Agreements)
"Subscriber organizations" that use Kantara product
- Online testing or verification tools (REFEDs: SAML 2.0, OpenID, Cloud…? SCIM, Oauth)
JB-ACTION: review Operating Procedures for possible change regarding access to profile development based on membership acces via *RBs.
- Certification (old Profile Development)
- RB bodies
*RB Certifications - proposed certification review board as hierarchical to other RBs / DRB deployment review board
- SaaS Cloud Certification (U.S. Govt. on-boarding) (SAML 2.0 INT + Subset of eGov 2.0 <insert magic> OpenID Connect)
- Implementation/Deployment Review Board
- Certification /Training Federation Architect
- Certification of Federation Operators
- Kantara accreditation body as a service / product
Board of Trustees and Leadership Council - Thursday, Oct. 20, 3:15-5pm
Who needs Certification?
- EADS (Airbus)
- Bank of America
NEW KANTARA INITIATIVE CHAPTERS
To provide value, audience. Board will brainstorm regarding legalities.
- Date: Wednesday, 26 October 2011
- Time: 13:00 PT | 16:00 ET | 20:00 UTC (time chart)