Child pages
  • 2018-11-21 Meeting notes DRAFT
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Date

2018-11-21

Representation




NameAttended
Connected Life Innovation Groups
IRMWG1stSalvatore D'Agostino (LC Secretary)


IRMWG2ndBill Nelson
UMAWG1stEve MalerYes
UMAWG2ndMaciej Machulak
CISWG1stJim Pasquale
CISWG2ndAndrew Hughes (LC Chair)Yes
CISWG2nd

John Wunderlich

Yes

CMSWG1stCorné van Rooij
CMSWG2ndJim Pasquale
IDoTDG
Ingo Friese
BSCDG
Dormant
BSCDG


Trust Services Interoperability Groups
IAWG1stKen Dagg
IAWG2ndScott ShorterYes
HIAWG1stNON-VOTING 2016-09-07
eGovWG1st

Rainer Hoerbe


eGovWG2ndKeith Uber
FIWG1st

John Bradley


FIWG2ndWalter Forbes Hoehn
OTTOWG1stMichael Schwartz
OTTOWG2ndJanusz Ulanowski
Staff
Kantara-Colin WallisYes

-

NOTE: As of February 2018 for calculation of quorum there are 8 Work Groups.



Agenda and Meeting Notes

TopicDesired Outcome
Meeting Administration
Roll Call
Agenda Confirmation
  • Agenda for this month's Leadership Council call:
    • Organization updates
    • Kantara 10th year logo
    • Kantara Directors from the LC
    • Operating Procedures AMB
    • New DG Draft Charter approved "Use cases for Identity Proofing & Verification" - startup planned for next week if possible
    • WG/DG that need to be closed/archived/paused
    • IDESG / IDEF Charter Status
    • New work proposals
      • DG on Semantic Entity Relationship Management - Thorsten Niebuhr
  • Upcoming conferences and speaking proposals - and why you should present about Kantara work!
    • Identiverse
    • EIC
    • ID North
    • RSA
  • AOB


Minutes confirmation


Draft minutes for approval:

2018-10-17 Meeting notes DRAFT

2018-09-19 Meeting notes DRAFT

2018-08-15 Meeting notes DRAFT

2018-04-25 Meeting notes DRAFT

2018-03-21 Meeting notes DRAFT

2018-02-21 Meeting notes DRAFT

2018-01-17 Meeting notes DRAFT

2017-12-20 Meeting notes DRAFT

2017-11-15 Meeting notes DRAFT

2017-10-18 Meeting notes DRAFT

2017-08-16 Meeting Notes DRAFT

2017-05-17 Meeting Notes DRAFT

2017-03-15 Meeting Notes DRAFT

2017-01-18 Meeting Notes DRAFT

"To approve listed meeting minutes"

Motion by:

Second:

Discussion:

Result:


Organizational Updates
Executive Director and Staff Report

Director's Corner: 2018: October

Keeping up with Kantara: 'Keep up with the Kantarians' email blasts

  • Kantara is in reasonably good heath - cash reserves are on target

  • Need to continue to push for larger members and director members - natural life cycle
  • Everyone in industry seems to want to start their own non-profit consortia these days
  • Staff have executed the first GDPR 'request to be forgotten'
LC Chair Report

The Kantara Initiative is the global consortium improving trustworthy use of identity and personal data through innovation, standardization and good practice.


New Business
Andrew's Email to LC 2018-11-19

https://kantarainitiative.org/pipermail/lc/2018-November/003734.html

>> LC Representatives to Kantara Board <<
After several calls for volunteers with no response, I will take this on myself. So, Ken Dagg and I are now the LC Directors sharing one vote at the Kantara Board of Directors.

>> Overall WG and DG progress <<
# Things seem to be going well, where they are going :) The groups that have work projects to get done are meeting and mostly getting them done. 
# However, there are several groups that have gone inactive for one reason or another & it's time to do a cleanup. 
These are:

## Blockchain and smart contracts DG - report was published in 2017. No responses to calls to convert to a WG. Move to archive.

## Identities of Things DG - Ingo's corporate has redirected his focus, so he's not permitted to run this DG now. No other driving factors. Move to archive.

## Federation Interoperability WG - published SAML profile in 2018 - low activity levels right now but this is a normal pattern for the WG - when something comes up, they start work. No change in status.

## Healthcare ID Assurance WG - has been suspended due to lack of driver - but the Healthcare Committee from IDESG is starting to use HIAWG to do work. Update Charter and support.

## ID Ecosystem Framework WG - challenges getting liftoff - see the other item about this.

## Identity Relationship Management WG - stalled. We have been trying to get other projects from outside Kantara to pick this up, but no action yet. Recommend to archive.

## OTTO WG - Last I heard from Mike about this is that the original motivations for the work have disappeared. Recommend to archive (Mike to inform LC).

## UMA Dev WG - time to archive it

I'd like to have a discussion this week and instruct staff to make the changes before 2018 is over.

>> NEW Groups <<
# The LC ballot passed to approve the draft charter for a new DG on "Identity Proofing and Verification Use Cases". Andrew will be announcing first call to happen in a couple weeks. This has a short fuse - the Report must be complete by end-January to make the deadline for ISO submission.

# Thorsten Niebuhr of Wedacon wants to propose a new group "DG on Semantic Entity Relationship Management" - draft charter to be circulated - needs to demonstrate community support for this

# The main work product that Kantara got from IDESG is the ID Ecosystem Framework - a set of requirements, procedural documentation and a web-based status registry for companies who went through the process. However, there has been no interest expressed in continuing work on the framework requirements or other framework documents. So, I don't want to proceed to create an IDEF WG. We are looking for backers and leaders to continue the work.
However, there is a small group the "Agile" group that is focused on further development of the registry itself. They meet regularly and are motivated to get things done. Expect to see their draft charter for ballot soon, to start up a WG.

>> Operating Procedures <<
Thank you all for voting on the updated Operating Procedures document- hopefully you were able to at least skim through for the juicy bits. The All Member Ballot (AMB) goes out soon. A few notable things:
- the new version does not need an AMB for every change - there's a path for LC to approve non-material changes
- there's a whole new section on publication processes and procedures - including flow charts! but no Venn diagrams. There's some text now to explain review periods and required steps.
- The text is now organized so that you don't have to read the entire thing to figure out how to do something. Ken did a great job teasing apart the old version for this. So, if you run a WG, that's the only section you need to refer to for most things - take a look and let us know.

>> Kantara presentations at conferences <<
Colin sets up Kantara showcases at many conferences that he attends - these are either 1 hour or 3 hours depending. Kantara Members are encouraged to seek the spotlight and join in - we like to see Members getting out there and telling the world how they get value from their membership. 
I'm planning for a big splash for the consent and receipt work at EIC in May and IDentiverse in June. You should be planning for those (and other) events too.

>> Plans for 2019 <<
Adoption and Messaging

  • Consent Receipts is getting good visibility and engagement, mainly because of the demo we created and have been showing off wherever we can.
  • UMA is getting informal interop testing done by implementers - this could turn into formalized full-matrix testing.
  • IAWG is seeking to get more schemes and more approved service providers.
  • More adoption of Kantara products & programs will be a core activity in 2019!
  • Also, the Board has started discussion about stronger messaging about Kantara - what's our focus, what are we known for, how do organizations succeed by using Kantara?
AOB
  • Federal PKI Certificate policy work group - has been updated to point at 800-63-3A which might be problematic from an implementation and conformity point of view
  • MyData Global association - John Wunderlich and Julian Ranger were elected to the founding Board - interesting opportunties ahead
WG/DG Updates

Administrative Reminders/Requests: Please ensure your WG and DG charters are reasonably current. These are supposed to be reviewed annually.

IRM WG -

OTTO WG -

UMA WG 

BSC DG -

IA WG -

CIS WG -

Consent Solutions WG -

eGov WG -

FI WG -

IDoT DG -

Launching New WG/DG's


New publication type
  • Andrew proposes to define a new type of Kantara publication: the 'Best Current Practice' Recommendation. This would follow the same intent as with IETF BCP documents. 
  • Currently the publication type: 'Recommendation' has sub-types of 'Recommendation' and 'Technical Specification'. The 'Best Current Practice' would become a third sub-type.
    "The BCP subseries of the RFC series is designed to be a way to standardize practices and the results of community deliberations.  
    A BCP document is subject to the same basic set of procedures as standards track documents and thus is a vehicle by which the IETF 
    community can define and ratify the community's best current thinking on a statement of principle or on what is believed to be the 
    best way to perform some operations or IETF process function."
    Ref: IETF BCP 9
Long-running Topics
Action Items Review

Please take a moment to review the list of action items and do your best to take action.

Policies & Procedures update

Operating Procedures are being updated to match the current version of Bylaws. Some streamlining and addition of document publication procedures is being done as well.

New boilerplate templates for email ballots are being created.

Tips and Tricks
2019 Project Funding


Document repo/Publications Library



Kantara-presence Events

List of future events on KantaraInitiative.org

Plenary planning




Discussion

TopicDiscussion








Events with Kantara presence

https://kantarainitiative.org/events/

ConferenceLocationDatesCall for SpeakersComments






** Not listed on Kantara site yet

Action Items

  •  
  •  
  •  
  •