Child pages
  • 2018-09-19 Meeting notes DRAFT
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata




Connected Life Innovation Groups
IRMWG1stSalvatore D'Agostino (LC Secretary)


IRMWG2ndBill Nelson
UMAWG1stEve Maler
UMAWG2ndMaciej Machulak
CISWG1stJim Pasquale
CISWG2ndAndrew Hughes (LC Chair)Yes

John Wunderlich


CMSWG1stCorné van Rooij
CMSWG2ndJim Pasquale
Ingo Friese
Thomas Hardjono
Eve MalerYes
Trust Services Interoperability Groups
IAWG1stKen DaggYes
IAWG2ndScott ShorterYes
HIAWG1stNON-VOTING 2016-09-07

Rainer Hoerbe

eGovWG2ndKeith Uber

John Bradley

FIWG2ndWalter Forbes Hoehn
OTTOWG1stMichael Schwartz
OTTOWG2ndJanusz Ulanowski
Kantara-Colin WallisYes


NOTE: As of February 2018 for calculation of quorum there are 8 Work Groups.

Agenda and Meeting Notes

TopicDesired Outcome
Meeting Administration
Roll Call
Agenda Confirmation
  • Agenda for this month's Leadership Council call:
    - Member/Participant meeting on October 26 - what will we work on?
    - Reminder to update/re-confirm charters and leadership elections
    - Need to fill one seat to join Ken Dagg to represent Members on the Kantara Board - must be an active Chair/Vice
    - Your workplans for 2019 - what will your Group deliver?
  • Upcoming conferences and speaking proposals
  • AOB

Minutes confirmation

Draft minutes for approval:

2018-04-25 Meeting notes DRAFT

2018-03-21 Meeting notes DRAFT

2018-02-21 Meeting notes DRAFT

2018-01-17 Meeting notes DRAFT

2017-12-20 Meeting notes DRAFT

2017-11-15 Meeting notes DRAFT

2017-10-18 Meeting notes DRAFT

2017-08-16 Meeting Notes DRAFT

2017-05-17 Meeting Notes DRAFT

2017-03-15 Meeting Notes DRAFT

2017-01-18 Meeting Notes DRAFT

"To approve listed meeting minutes"

Motion by:




Organizational Updates
Executive Director and Staff Report

Director's Corner: 2018: August

Keeping up with Kantara: 'Keep up with the Kantarians' email blasts

  • August revenues are up this year (yay!)

  • Lots of inquiries on all things Kantara
    • Assurance program, H2020 bid, and other work group work
LC Chair Report

The Kantara Initiative is the global consortium improving trustworthy use of identity and personal data through innovation, standardization and good practice.

New Business
Member meeting October 26 2018

From 2018-08 call:

  • 3 hours in San Francisco, Friday after IIW
  • Discussion about requirements for data porting from one provider to another - possibly in reaction to the "Data Portability Project" of Google/MS/Twitter/others
  • Scott Ferman - responsible for the Forgerock Demo platform - a 'real' UMAnitarian - might be interested in attending. Also someone from Eve's team.
  • Maybe UMA interop for conformance testing? (Gluu, Forgerock, WSO2, KeyCloak, other HEART/Healthcare-focused)
  • Possibly Consent Receipt topics (next version of schema, develop next demo)
  • Graph models for relationship expression? UMA business relationship graphs/design patterns?
  • Colin has opened registration for the October 26 2018 event
    • ACTION: Andrew to create an agenda for the Plenary & share it

2018-09-19 call:

  • Possible "Personal Information Protection Company" (PIPC) pilot discussion (David Thelander)
  • A joint WG piece of work
  • Discussion on how to align or unify WG activities
  • Discussion on a "Product Roadmap" for 'Consent'
  • Assurance: roadmap discussion on IAF, IDEF, Privacy assurance
    • e.g. a new DG about how IAF and IDEF inter-relate
    • How to engage with Consumer Reports (Privacy & Security ratings)
    • Evolution/roadmap of conformity assessment program
    • The IDEF charter looks very broad
  • Conformance testing
    • Gluu has done some interop testing with KeyCloak - very useful
    • Gluu is reaching out to WSO2 who is now out of beta
    • Eve anticipates that more 1:1 matrix testing will occur in 2018 - leading to more formal testing program in 2019
    • (sidebar) Korea / KISA is interested in UMA conformance testing - we need to find out what deployments exist
  • The "Blinding Identity" taxonomy sounds like a good idea - keep talking about it.
  • Q: Is the IDESG Privacy committee intending to startup in Kantara? Other committees?
'Adoption' theme for 2019
  • For example - for the Consent Receipt spec, CIS WG decided to do the CR Interop Demo at MyData in Helsinki. It's a forcing function to get products to include code to generate, consume and otherwise 'deal with' consent receipts
  • Data interchange between 'wallets'?
  • From the UMA Charter:
    • To promote UMA adoption
      • For example, by offering support for profiling and extension creation and creating educational materials
    • To promote interoperability of independent implementations of UMA
    • Vendors are starting to implement - tech interop will have to happen
    • Deepening the usage patterns for UMA - ongoing
    • Consider developing specific extensions for specific use cases (e.g. sector-oriented/'verticals' profiles like for HEART) - also looking at 'horizontal' profiles. e.g. enterprise case where enterprise access rules override the RS Owner's policy direction
    • Gluu: scope expressions
    • Possible interaction with Rebooting Web of Trust community for Decentralized Identifiers? There are at least 3 interaction points where UMA could intersect with DIDs. e.g. HIE of One.
    • OAuth authorization endpoint, Claims authorization endpoint might be intersections with DIDs
    • Jarrod Hansen's (Auth0) Identiverse talk - API Authorization proposal - big opportunity if we can engage him - passport.js
WG/DG Updates

Administrative Reminders/Requests: Please ensure your WG and DG charters are reasonably current. These are supposed to be reviewed annually.







Consent Solutions WG -

eGov WG -



Launching New WG/DG's

New publication type
  • Andrew proposes to define a new type of Kantara publication: the 'Best Current Practice' Recommendation. This would follow the same intent as with IETF BCP documents. 
  • Currently the publication type: 'Recommendation' has sub-types of 'Recommendation' and 'Technical Specification'. The 'Best Current Practice' would become a third sub-type.
    "The BCP subseries of the RFC series is designed to be a way to standardize practices and the results of community deliberations.  
    A BCP document is subject to the same basic set of procedures as standards track documents and thus is a vehicle by which the IETF 
    community can define and ratify the community's best current thinking on a statement of principle or on what is believed to be the 
    best way to perform some operations or IETF process function."
    Ref: IETF BCP 9
Long-running Topics
Action Items Review

Please take a moment to review the list of action items and do your best to take action.

Policies & Procedures update

Operating Procedures are being updated to match the current version of Bylaws. Some streamlining and addition of document publication procedures is being done as well.

New boilerplate templates for email ballots are being created.

Tips and Tricks
2019 Project Funding

Document repo/Publications Library

Kantara-presence Events

List of future events on

Plenary planning



Events with Kantara presence

ConferenceLocationDatesCall for SpeakersComments
KnowIdentity 2018WashingtonMarch 26-28, 2018Closed

Kantara panel with Colin, Scott Shorter (Kuma), (Tracy Hulver), Mary Hodder, Andrew.

Any members speaking?

IAPP Global Privacy Summit 2018WashingtonMarch 25-26; March 27-28, 2018Closed
IIW #XXVIMountain ViewApril 3-5, 2017n/a
ID North Executive SessionMontrealMid-april

RSA 2018San FranciscoApril 16-20, 2018Closed
Internet2 Global Summit 2018San DiegoMay 6-9, 2018Closed
EIC 2018MunichMay 15-18, 2018Closed

Who is speaking?

Kantara International Privacy SummitLondonMay 22, 2018n/aKantara's first ever branded conference
IAPP Canada Privacy Symposium 2018TorontoMay 22-23; May 24-25, 2018Closed
ID NorthToronto

Identiverse 2018BostonJune 24-27, 2018Closed

Who is speaking?

Eve, Sal, Mark, Mike have been accepted so far

myData 2018HelsinkiAugust 29-31, 2018April 5, 2018

** Not listed on Kantara site yet

Action Items