Child pages
  • 2017-01-18 Meeting Notes DRAFT
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Date

2017-01-18

Attendees

Representation NameAttended
Connected Life Innovation Groups
IRMWG1stSalvatore D'Agostino (LC Secretary)

yes

IRMWG2ndBill Nelson 
UMAWG1stEve Maleryes
UMAWG2ndMaciej Machulak 
CISWG1st

John Wunderlich

yes

CISWG Mark Lizar (LC Vice-Chair)yes
CISWG Mary Hodder 
IDoTDG Ingo Friese 
BSCDG Thomas Hardjono 
BSCDG Eve Maler 
DIDProDG1stIan Glazeryes
DIDProDG2ndSarah Squire 
Trust Services Interoperability Groups
IAWG1stKen Dagg

 

IAWG2ndAndrew Hughes (LC Chair)yes
HIAWG1stNON-VOTING 2016-09-07 
eGovWG1st

Rainer Hoerbe

 
eGovWG2ndKeith Uber 
FIWG1st

John Bradley

 

FIWG2ndWalter Forbes Hoehn 
OTTOWG1stMichael Schwartzyes
OTTOWG2ndJanusz Ulanowski 
Staff
Kantara-Colin Wallisyes
Virtual-Shannon Taylor, Megan Cannonyes

Agenda and Meeting Notes

TopicDesired Outcome
Meeting Administration
Roll CallRoll call was taken, quorum was confirmed
Agenda Confirmation

UMA: upcoming request to vote to certify UMA to all-member ballot

CISWG: Consent receipt will be in March

Minutes confirmation

Draft minutes for approval:

2016-09-07 Meeting Minutes

2016-10-19 Meeting Minutes

2016-11-16 Meeting Minutes

2016-12-14 Meeting Minutes

"To approve listed meeting minutes"

Motion by: John Wunderlich

Second: Sal 1,2,3 Eve 4

Discussion: none

Result: Approved

 

 

Organizational Updates
Executive Director and Staff Report
  • See Directors Corner post from December 31
  • Board/LC strategy meeting @ RSA week - will there be a remote dial in? Colin will check.
    • Post was summarized in the Members Newsletter last week
    • Reviewed the challenging 2016 year. Despite that, Kantara did a lot with what they have. Not many organizations build - Kantara should be proud of what they do.
    • Challenges - need members, funding, sponsors.
  • Colin has been working on the non-assertion covenant draft and IPR policies, consistent with bylaws. Colin to bring back to the group next month to review, and decide if a ballot is needed.
    • Once Board approves, member companies can notify their legal departments of the change.
  • Staff is working on budgets for Board meeting tomorrow. If working groups need resources, will need to secure sponsor funding.
  • Oliver will host a discussion around a portal to nail down requirements. Create advisory committee.
LC Chair Report

2016 - a good year that built interest and new energy and new participation

2017 - a good year to harness that energy and start the positive spiral

Andrew's Plans for LC 2017:

  • Drive the creation of the Kantara Initiative Global Collaboration and Innovation Center portal as a focal point for members/non-members
    • Publication platform for DG/WG outputs
    • Single point of discovery for Kantara outputs and programs
  • Focus on the value of Kantara membership to members and participants
    • The benefits of membership over and above DG/WG participation
  • Support and growth of technical communities
    • Identity Assurance, Identity & Access Federations
    • Information Sharing (right now this is GDPR instigated, but the community is much broader)
    • Personal Data Ecosystems
    • Blockchain (which slice?)
    • Smart Contracts (which slice?)
    • Sovereign / autonomous actors (is this viable?)
    • Also, support for joint-effort work between different DG/WG
  • Refinement of Kantara Operating Procedures to accurately reflect WG/DG scope of activities
    • Clarification of types of Kantara publications
      • Recommendations, Reports exist - what are Technical Specifications?
    • Discussion of 'maintenance mode' groups v 'development mode' groups
    • Finalization of IPR contributor covenant
    • Formalization of use of GitHub (and other) repositories for Kantara material

Overall: Drive value creation and value capture for Kantara members and participants

  • Eve reported a person who was not clear on member mechanics - need to refine the membership pitch, perhaps adding a video/slideshare to the homepage. Remove friction and pain points to becoming a member.
  • Mark would like to see onboarding document as part of the WG operating resources.
  • Kantara has a trusted brand, inherited from Liberty, perhaps invest in media around principles and how they align with business schools to attract more members.

  • Andrew will release this plan to the group for input.

Stay tuned for discussion drafts about:

  • How communities could choose to document standard practices and evolve into voluntary codes of practice or conformity assessment programs.
  • Options for WG/DG publications categories
  • Ideas for the portal structure

Face 2 Face member, DG/WG meetings calendar

  • Want to start holding plenary meetings in 2017
    • Both member-only (like an AGM-style) plus all-comers style
  • Want to post a regular calendar of F2F meeting opportunities
    • Send me details of recurring industry/government events that we could meet at

  • Discussion around Kantara producing its own event, co-producing/operating, or producing a workshop at another event - a day before or a day after an existing event.

 

New Business
WG/DG Updates

Administrative Reminders/Requests

  • Annual review of DG/WG Charters
  • Annual verification of voting roster and quorum determination
  • Roadmaps for 2017
    • What publications are in the works?
    • Is the group in development mode or maintenance mode?
  • Invite your vice-chairs and secretaries to attend the LC call

  • Colin offered report to eGov
  • Codes of conduct, minimum practice guides, standards of practice, body of knowledge are being produced. Could Kantara take eGov's code of conduct and build it into a standard?

IRM WG

  • Looking for a way to move forward, across Kantara. Sal will share with this group for a conversation within the LC

OTTO WG

UMA WG

  • UMA has started a roadmap and is targeted for end of Q1

BSC DG

IA WG

CIS WG

eGov WG

Launching New WG/DG's

Ideas

  • Re-start the Privacy and Public Policy WG
  • Reformulation of the Consent and Information Sharing WG into a flat-ish hierarchy of related sub-WGs & project teams
    • oversight working group around information sharing, and several sub-working groups with project teams.
  • If there is a project to be done, create a ream with any interested parties from the working groups.
    • Example - consent receipt collaboration
  • Cross collaboration
  • Create a group to produce position papers
Long-running Topics
Action Items Review

Please take a moment to review the list of action items and do your best to take action.

Policies & Procedures update

Volunteers needed to identify areas requiring work (1 meeting)

Contributor IPR

Volunteers needed to meet a couple times and deal with outstanding issues to move this to final draft.

Drafts are here: Working Drafts

Tips and Tricks

Andrew still looking for a github tutorial! Anyone have youtube links or willing to record a simplistic screen capture?

Kantara Policy AuditOBE - remove for next meeting
2017 Project FundingReminder that all funding requests were due several months ago. At the very latest requests must be in by the first of February for Board consideration.
Document repo/Publications LibraryAndrew's plan is to change this item into: Global Collaboration and Innovation Center development project
Kantara-presence Events

List of future events on KantaraInitiative.org

18th Annual Privacy and Security Conference February 8-10, 2017Victoria, CA
RSA ConferenceRSA USA 2017February 13-17, 2017San Francisco, US
Trust & Internet Identity Meeting Europe + concurrent meetingsTIIMEFebruary 20-24, 2017Vienna, AT
Identity & KYC Summit Europe March 1-2, 2017London, UK
Internet Identity Workshop #24 + pre-workshops + post-meetingsIIW 2017 AMay 2-4, 2017Mountain View, US
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 27 Plenary and Working Group MeetingsISO SC 27April 18-25, 2017Hamilton, NZ
European Identity and Cloud Conference 2017EIC 2017May 9-12, 2017Munich, DE
Identity North 2017**IDN 2017June 6-7, 2017Toronto, CA
Cloud Identity Summit **CIS 2017June 19-22, 2017Chicago, US

** Not listed on Kantara site yet

AOB

Open discussion