Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Kantara Initiative Identity Assurance WG Teleconference

Meeting Minutes - IAWG approval 5 September 2013 call

 

Date and Time

Agenda

  1. Administration:
    1. Roll Call
    2. Agenda Confirmation
    3. Minutes approval: IAWG Meeting Minutes 2013-08-22
    4. Action Item Review
    5. Staff reports and updates
    6. LC reports and updates
      1. Quick poll for event/conference attendance
    7. Call for Tweet-worthy items to feed (@KantaraNews or #kantara)
  2. Discussion
    1. Call for IAWG Charter Review (ref. Email to IAWG Chairs and WG)
  3. Updates
  4. AOB
  5. Adjourn

 Attendees

Link to IAWG Roster

As of 1 July 2013, quorum is 5 of 9

Meeting was quorate

 

Voting

  • Myisha Frazier-McElveen (C)
  • Rich Furr (V-C)
  • Andrew Hughes (S)
  • Bill Braithwaite
  • Cathy Tilton
  • Scott Shorter
  • Matt Thompson

Non-Voting

  • Ken Dagg

Staff

  • Joni Brennan

Apologies

 

Notes & Minutes

Administration 

Minutes Approval

IAWG Meeting Minutes 2013-08-22

Motion to approve minutes of 2013/8/22: Bill Braithwaite
Seconded: Scott Shorter
Discussion: None
Motion Passed  

Action Item Review

See running table below

Staff Updates

  • Director's Corner Link
  • Project with Resilient Networks is advancing - meeting soon with leads to discuss sub-group to do work 
  • Recent press release about MOU with EHNAC (Direct Trust accreditor)
    • There are commonalities and difference between the EHNAC and Kantara assessment programs
    • A feasibility study is identified in the MOU to look at gaps between programs - this is within the HIAWG now
  • Liaison MOU with IDESG is now executed - there will be an active relationship between IAWG and Standards & Trust Frameworks WGs
    • to provide operational experience as needed
  • ForgeRock is now a Trustee-Level member
    • There is now a vacancy on the Board of Trustees for LC Representative
  • Upcoming events
    • October 14 - Kantara workshop prior to Smart Card Alliance on Trusted Identity Exchange - agenda being developed
    • MIT Interop event - Open ID Connect, UMA interop
      • ForgeRock sponsoring
      • Kantara is a media partner & campaign upcoming 
    • October 28 - Close to confirming a Pre-RSA Europe (Amsterdam) event: Security & Privacy Celebrity Death-match
    • November 10-11 - Kantara all member plenary
  • FCCX - has been awarded to SecureKey
    • Kantara will be part of the gatekeeping function
    • All entities connecting to FCCX will have to be accredited through TFPs
    • Working closely with the FCCX team
LC Updates
  • Question to the IAWG: Are participants planning to attend any conferences that might be of interest to other Kantara members?
    • September 17-19: Tampa - International Biometric Consortium Conference (biometrics.org) - biggest annual event for the biometrics industry. Daon attending.
    • September 30-October 2: IAPP (Bellevue) - Glenn Schoovner (TroopID) attending.
  • Starting outreach to Universities for students interested in volunteering for secretary roles
  • Discussed re-chartering activity
    • Seeking alignment of WGs to support the Kantara value statement
    • Deadline is September 25
    • The current working version of the Value statement is:
      "Kantara exists to develop and/or operate rules for operators of online services, enabling verification of  the trust layer providing high-value, privacy-preserving identity and access."
Participant updates
  •  

Discussion

Call for IAWG Charter Review

Brought forward from last meeting for discussion at the request of the Chair

(ref. Email to IAWG Chairs and WG)

Link to current IAWG Charter (July 2009)

Kantara Portland retreat in August 2013 created plans to sharpen focus for Kantara WGs. Review and update of existing WG charters was requested, due September 25 for review by LC.

The text of the request:

During the recent Kantara Leadership Retreat, we focused on the question of why Kantara exists (seehttp://kantarainitiative.org/pipermail/lc/2013-August/002348.html for a high level summary out of that retreat).  The idea is that with a clear "why", we can make sure the actions we take truly support the goals of the Kantara Initiative.  The current working DRAFT of Kantara's "why" statement is:  

DRAFT: Kantara exists to define rules of engagement for operators of online services, enabling high-value, privacy-preserving identity and access.

In order to incorporate this concept in to the Innovation side of Kantara, the work groups, we are initiating a Work Group recharter effort.  This will help make sure that the Work Groups are on track with solid deliverables and timelines that support the goal of the organization.  Work Groups can expect to receive more organizational support in terms of marketing to increase group participation and the creation of industry-driving Kantara Recommendations.  For Work Groups that do not recharter, their status will change to that of a Discussion Group, which is considered a much more informal effort. (Please see the Kantara Operating Procedures for a more detailed definition of Work Group and Discussion Group: http://kantarainitiative.org/confluence/x/owVAAg .)

The link to your current charter can be found on your space in the Kantara wiki.  The LC would like to have the updated charters in by September 25.  The LC will discuss and review the charters over the month of October.
Discussion
  • Need to assemble a subgroup to look at the charter
    • Volunteers: Rich Furr; Linda Goettler; Andrew Hughes; Scott Shorter
  • Deeper discussion deferred to subgroup
August 29 2013 call:

Chair called for topics needing coverage in the Charter:

  • Need to include roles and responsibilities division between ARB and IAWG and LC for the IAF processes
    • Where does execution of processes for certification of credential providers live?
    • Joni planning a "Leadership deck" to help chairs to understand processes and their execution
    • Many of these processes are already defined in the Kantara Operating Procedures
  • Need to reflect the firming up of the distinction between Kantara's Service Operations versus Kantara's Innovation divisions
  • IAWG should be confirmed as the Subject Matter Expert pool that the ARB can draw on 
  • ARB is the operational arm of the IAF
  • ARB is not refreshing their charter at this time
  • Stronger language needed in charter to keep IAF documents up to date
    • Difficult to keep document set current due to the nature of the documents. Focus in necessarily on the SAC.
    • Need to focus on low barriers to adoption and consumability by entities wishing to seek Approval - should not have to rely on experts to do basic interpretation of documents
  • Further discussion needed to examine current IAF document set structure, areas needing refresh and perhaps extraction of non-core information.

 AOB

Action Items

Item #DescriptionAssigned toEst. CompletionStatus
2013-06-06-005

IAWG-NIST F2F in DC area to discuss approach and feedback on 800-63 v IAF analysis approach

(2013-Aug-1): Comment that perhaps ICAM should be invited as well.

Staff / IAWG LeadsTBDNot started
2013-06-13-001

Chair to discuss with Exec. Director the need for a Content Management System analysis and potential tool for IAF/SAC & funding options

  • (2013-Jun-20): Discussion occurred; vision has been always to have a CMS - possibly a database with online self-serve document generation capability (in whichever output format is needed); team will be needed to draw up a wireframe and requirements for a custom developed tool
  • (2013-Jun-27): Call for lead is required. Myisha to send a call to list for volunteer lead.
  • (2013-Aug-29): Call for lead has been put to the Quarterly Status report - will be distributed from there
MyishaSeptember 2013In progress
2013-06-13-002

Glossary updates underway. Next draft should be available in 4 weeks

(11July2013): Defer item to future meeting

(1Aug2013): No comments on new additions received yet - reminder sent to sub-group.

(29Aug2013): Working through comments now. Aiming for distribution prior to next call.

Ken Dagg

Updated:12 Sept 2013

In Progress
2013-08-1-002

Forward Ticket items that have been resolved to correct lists for next action.

(29Aug2013): Sent request to Staff to clarify process.

Andrew Hughes8 August 2013Not Started
2013-08-29-001Sub-group required for charter refresh work. R. Furr to convene. Volunteers: Rich Furr; Linda Goettler; Andrew Hughes; Scott ShorterR. Furr5 September 2013 

 

Recently Closed Action Items

Item #DescriptionAssigned toEst. CompletionStatus
2013-08-8-001

Bring forward ticket #770408 for further discussion of new text

 

Chair15 August 2013Complete
     

 

 

Attachments

 

 

Next Meeting

 

  • No labels