One of the principal tenets of Kantara Initiative (KI) is to keep the process open to everyone. To do so, the email discussion lists for each Work Group (WG) and Discussion Group (DG) can be read by everyone, whether a KI Member, Participant of the Group, or just an interested party. The list archives are available online and anyone can subscribe to the specific distributions.
When joining a WG or DG, you will be required to agree to the Group's Intellectual Property Rights (IPR) policy by completing a Group Participation Agreement for that Group. Upon submission, your request will be validated by KI staff, and you will be added to the Group's discussion List. As a Participant of the Group you will be able to post to the List.
If you are not a Participant of a Group you may Subscribe to the Group List but you will not be permitted to post to the List. This limitation is applied in order to protect the Intellectual Property Rights (IPR) of the Group Participants.
This policy serves to address the usage, administration, and management of Kantara Initiative Board of Directors (BoD), Leadership Council (LC), Work Group (WG) and Discussion Group (DG) email discussion list
Whenever a term defined below is capitalized, it is used as defined. If the word of phrase does not have leading capital letters, then it is to be interpreted within the context of the specific text. A capitalized term not defined below is used as defined in the Organization Bylaws.
- Group: The general term for the body (e.g. Work Group or Discussion Group) associated with a List.
- List: The general term for a Kantara Initiative email discussion list.
- Observer: A Subscriber to a Group List who is not permitted to post to the List. An Observer is not a Participant of a Group.
- Staff: The employees or contracted agents of the Kantara Initiative who are engaged to perform administrative duties.
- Subscribe: Request automatic delivery of posts to the Group List, whether or not a Participant of the Group.
(3) Joining a Group
- Anyone, whether a Member or a non-Member of Kantara Initiative, may join a WG or DG as a Participant by completing a Group Participation Agreement for the specific Group.
- Processing of all Group Participation Agreements is managed by Staff.
- If an employee of a Member applies to become a Participant in a Group, the Member's Primary Representative must be notified. The application will be processed only after the Member's Primary Representative has agreed to accept the IPR Policy of the Group. Additional representatives of a Participant Member may be added without the approval of the Member's Primary Representative. This service is provided as a Member benefit.
- If a non-Member applies to become a Participant in a Group, they must agree to accept the IPR Policy of the Group by completing the Group Participation Agreement for that Group. The non-Member is then added to the roster of the Group and is immediately bound by the IPR Policy of the Group.
(4) Joining a Group Discussion List
- Anyone may access the Group Discussion List archives. The discussions occur fully open to public review.
- Anyone may Subscribe to any Group List.
- A Participant in a Group is Subscribed to the Group List and has full posting rights.
- A non-Participant in a Group may Subscribe to a Group List only as an Observer.
- All Subscribers to all lists will be required to 'confirm' their email address by responding to an automated validation message.
- Group Lists are not moderated.
(5) Board of Directors and Leadership Council Lists
- BoD and LC representatives are Subscribed with posting permissions to both the BoD and LC Lists for as long as they hold a seat on either the BoD or the LC.
- All others, whether a Member or a non-Member, may subscribe to the BoD and LC Lists as Observers only.
This policy was approved by the Leadership Council on July 15, 2009, and by the Board of Trustees on July 16, 2009. 'Board of Trustees' was changed to 'Board of Directors' on September 13, 2016